Training vine along the wire??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kpcrane

Reaction score
My new Cayuga's are plenty tall enough now that i think i'm about ready to start running them horizontally down along the cordon wire,(my question is)Should i simply just tie the vine, running it along the top of the wire or would you all more suggest wrapping the vine around the wire and not worry that much about ties?.....Thanks!.......Kevin

Either way will work, but keep in mind you may need to prune it off next year if not large enough diameter to keep the buds alive over winter. A lot depends on your location.

I would tie them in case your wire would break or need to be snugged up. Easier to work with. Just my 3 cents worth (inflation).

You should loosely tie cordons with something that won't hurt the vine. As the vine grows it will naturally grab onto the wire. You should inspect the ties occasionally to be sure they are not broke or too tight.

Depending upon your system you could loosen your turnbuckle after harvest so over winter it won't snap. Snug again in spring.

I had a grower here in Wyoming recommend I cut my first year vines down to three buds next spring and put the grow tubes back on. I am not sure I am going to do that yet.

You might be glad you did (cut them back to 2-3 buds). First year vine trunks can be kind of wimpy as a lot of energy goes into establishing the root system.
Second year shoots from near the base will produce much better trunks the second year and you can usually hang on to those and train them properly.

Latest posts

Back