Topping up carboy with concord grape wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juggernaut

Reaction score
I have a Malbec, Carmenere, and a Cabernet Sauvignon going and I'm wondering if it would be all right if I was to use a Welchs concord grape wine that I made to top up the carboys?

I would say they each need almost a half a bottle to get into the neck of the carboy

Well, distilled water is most commonly used. Second would be another type of wine that resembles the batch of wine you are topping off. A third option would be to make a vodka and distilled water mix.

It's up to you bro.

I always top up with something better so that I don't wonder. I like concord wine but it is so different I would not top up with it.

You could sanitize some marbles and drop em in to displace the fluid. That way you don't have to top up you. Just some advise from a fellow newbie. ;)

If you can rack down, that would be your best option.

You could sanitize some marbles and drop em in to displace the fluid. That way you don't have to top up you. Just some advise from a fellow newbie. ;)

Yes, 3# of marbles will displace one liter of liquid. You could also check the concentrates at www.homewinery.com and find a juice concentrate that is compatible. Buy a 64oz container online, for 5-gallons of juice, and package/freeze any concentrate you do not use. You can also buy their pints, by phone only, and they yield 1-gallon of juice.

That's the only reason to make Welches wine IMO.

I make 5 bottles at a time and use them for topping up carboys.

I have a Malbec, Carmenere, and a Cabernet Sauvignon going and I'm wondering if it would be all right if I was to use a Welchs concord grape wine that I made to top up the carboys?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

ok, I feel better now.

Did runningwolf put him up to this????

Well, distilled water is most commonly used. Second would be another type of wine that resembles the batch of wine you are topping off. A third option would be to make a vodka and distilled water mix.

It's up to you bro.

Dylan,

I would have to respectfully dissagree with you.

One should NEVER use water as a top off. I think most here would agree with me.

Johnt,

It's personal preference. I think topping off with another wine is best, but people do top off with water so you can't disagree with that.

Johnt,

It's personal preference. I think topping off with another wine is best, but people do top off with water so you can't disagree with that.

Honestly, I do not see this as personal preference. Very few folks will top off with water.

There is good reason for this. Quite simply it will throw off your PH, SO2, APV and Tanin levels. It also goes without saying that you are diluting the color and flavor that mother nature worked so hard to produce.

Back