Topping off

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_dicken

Junior
Reaction score
I am going to need to top off my first batch of wine in the coming days and need to know what to use. I have read to try not to use more then about 1L total of extra water during the entire process.I don't have extra wine because a little spilage from the first racking so what should I use? Should I use water first then use the same type of wine? I am making a Reisling, all help is appricated.

You can get a commercial Reisling to top up with mr dicken or use marbles. If you choose the latter, be sure and sanitize them first

You could even buy a can of Argon gas designed for keeping an open bottle of wine fresh. it dont cost that much. I would personally buy a commercial wine though and use that. this is the reason that e have different size carboys such as 5 gallon, 3 gallon, 1 gallon, 3 liter jugs, and magnums with the different size bungs so we dont have to do this so keep that in mind when you have a few $'s handy. they pay for themselves typically in 1 case like this.

Thanks for the advise. Probably just go with the commercial wine. Do I need to try use a wine that taste closer to how sweet or dry I prefer this wine to end at? Will the better commercial wine help make a better wine for me?

If your just adding 1 liter it should not make a big difference but if more is needed then it might start influencing what your wine might taste like. Have you added your sorbate and k-meta yet as adding something with residual sugar might spark a re fermentation.

No, I am getting ready for the second racking and already know I will need to add to the wine. Should I just add in water now instead of the wine if I am adding in the sorbate and K- meta at the same time.

top it off with the like wine as long as its not a kit,don,t see the problem or top it off with dry nitrogen,no problem there either or put it into two smaller containers/////////////////////////////many choices////////////

Mr. Dicken, I would suggest topping off with a like commercial wine. And as a few others suggested, maybe, if you can, invest in a smaller carboy. I eventually invested in a 5 gal. and it will pay off in the long run.
smiley17.gif

Thanks for the advise. I probably need to invest in a 5 gallon carboy. I did my second racking last night and between my spillage and the sediment I need to add a little wine, I would much rather drink it!

I dont see any problem with using any wine whether it be kit or commercial as long as its alike.

I also prefer to top off with a like commercial wine, decent in quality but not fancy. But I also taste a sample of the commercial wine first just to make sure I don't top off with a bad wine and ruin the batch.Haven't found a bad bottle yet (either for topping off or just to drink), but it just seems like a good thing to do. (Also a good excuse to have a glass!)

Latest posts

Back