Too Much Rain

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadwarriorsvt

Reaction score
OK, I'm trying to grow some muscadines here in Hawaii that I ordered from Ison's in GA. He sent me 8 different varieties. We're equivilent to Zone 9. Our winters/early springs are HEAVY with rainfall. We planted each vine with some soil and compost mixture. After first planting them, most took off like wildfire, but since being almost drowning, the new green leaves have turned brown. I made a little berm around each vine but I think that is just holding in too much water, plus, I can't stop the rain. Any suggestions? I can only think of removing the berms and maybe putting plastic around the vines to try and prevent some of the rain from saturating the vines. Any advice welcomed.

I don't know if HI would be a good place to grow, except on the dry side of the islands. My sister lives on Kauai, so I've been there 3 times and have a wee bit of insight on growing conditions. It grows plants that like a little water better than almost anywhere in the world, but grapes like it a little dry. If anything, add rock or put in drainage landscape piping to get the water out. I'd expect some elevation as you are in HI, is the property on a hill? Also, since the equator is to the south, try planting them where they get the most sun from the south, this might help them stay dry.

I know there are alot of people here that know much more about grapes, maybe they'll chime in?

Thanks for the reply's. The farm the vines are on is on the most elevated part of Oahu, unfortunately, it is one of the wetest regions as well. This is more of an experiment to see if the muscadines will grow here. That is why we got one of eight different varities. I was thinking that we won't have a cold enough or long enough winter for the vines to go dormant.

PCharles has a good suggestion on contacting your local vineyards. I read an article about one of the vineyards in Hi. that cuts back the vines (like we do during dormant season) that then stimulates the vines to restart their growing cycle. Talk to the local vineyards before trying something like that on your own though.

That sounds like solid advice. All the vineyards are on the outer islands but they do have phone numbers. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back