Too long in secondary?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sixdoubleo

Reaction score
I have two 6 gallon carboys of Cab Franc that I made from 170lbs of grapes. Due to some family and work issues I wasn't able to tend to it as quickly as I'd liked and it sat in Secondary for about 4 weeks on about 1.5-2" of post-press sediment. It has a slight egg smell, so I'd just like to get some opinions.

I SO2'd the must at crush and did a two-day cold-soak with Pectic Enzyme. Pitched RC-212 yeast with Go-Ferm and Fermaid K per instructions. Fermentation went well. Here's a timeline...

10/18/2011 - Crush-Destem, S02'd must. Added pectic enzyme and dropped blocks of ice into must
10/19/2011 - Replace ice blocks
10/20/2011 - Measured 25 Brix, and 3.73ph. Adjusted with tartaric and got to 3.52ph. Pitched RC-212 with GoFerm and FermaidK
10/24/2011 - 10 Brix
10/29/2011 - 0 Brix. Pressed and transferred to Carboys. Added M/L Bacteria

(a bunch of family and work stuff happened...but about a week or so ago (3 weeks after press/transfer to secondary) I did notice a bit of rotten egg smell..not overwhelming, but certainly noticeable)

11/27/2011 - Splash-racked and added 1/4tsp SO2 to each carboy (today)

Thoughts? Was this far too long to sit in secondary before racking? Think I might be OK? How should I proceed from here? I was thinking about splash-racking again tomorrow just to get some more air into it.

Last edited:
Pressing that late and leaving that much probably wasn't wise. Check in a few days. I'm sure releasing some of the smell and sulfiting will help.

I usually remove pulp/fruit around 1.020-1.030

Patience.

1st thing I'd like to say is GREAT post, it has every thing needed to help you out.

With that said I think you will be just fine, Before splash racking again I would do a N & T test. Nose and Taste. If I still smelled the egg smell, I would probally try the copper trick before I splash racked it much more.

Pressing that late and leaving that much probably wasn't wise. Check in a few days. I'm sure releasing some of the smell and sulfiting will help.

I usually remove pulp/fruit around 1.020-1.030

Patience.

I pressed 9 days after pitching the yeast (when it reached 0-1 brix). You think I should have pressed earlier? Like 3-4 brix?

Don't slash rack any more than absolutely needed. Oxidized wine tastes as bad as sulfur wine. Sulfur smell, if only faint will fade. Oxidized is forever. Use the copper wire trick than leave it alone to age. Bet most, if not all will be gone with age.

Latest posts

Back