tomato wine question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnthemc

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
Two weeks ago I bottled 5 gal. of tomato wine. It was clear I thought. I used sparkloid.
I tried it last night and now seems to have more bite than before and it has a definate haze to it. I did not sweeten because my wife and I didn't think that it needed it. The ph was good (don't have my note book available right now) and so was the sg.
I was thinking maybe opening the bottles and trying pectic enzyme (which I did add in the beginning) amount also in my note book left at my office! and sweeten with honey which I never used before but read it would take some of the bite out. When we tasted before bottling it had a wonderful taste and I want to get that back.
Can anyone give me any advise? I would greatly appreciate it.
Thank You, John

If its only been two weeks since bottling, the wine could be going through bottling shock. Basically it freaks out a bit when it finds out its under pressure, lasts about a month.

The haze sounds a little different though, that im not sure of.

This is what is generally called bottle-shock.

A wine that has been in the carboy for some time is exposed to air when it is bottled. This alters the chemical structure of the wine which influences flavor.
The wine will come to its own againn in a few weeks.

Concerning the haze I can only say that you bottled to early.
Consider putting it back in the carboy and let it age some more before re-bottling.

Luc

Latest posts

Back