To much headspace in carboy? Solution!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
* I am going to make a guess that the mason jar lids are HDPE, and do not have a silicone O ring gasket. As a result I would limit their use to a month and preferably early in the ferment when actively producing CO2.
* I am using silicone bowl covers on 120 mm Big Mouth Bubblers early in the fermentation. They seal better than the cap/ O ring that comes with the BMB. Silicone will allow oxygen penetration so if that wine is not actively out gassing it will cover this with a glass/ Corel saucer.
A 120 mm PET bottle is an excellent addition since it is flexible/ you can rack into it for storage. I don’t like the gasket that comes with it and have improvised silicone and bungi cord.
View attachment 69057
* Late in the ferment/ when not dropping lees/ yearish,, I would use the Bag In Box wine bag as a flexible volume container. The suppliers are selling BIB to wineries for holding topping off wine.
* Currently I am using LDPE one inch rod with added stainless steel weight (density/ SpGrav. is about 0.900) {A side note which I should try is to put some small ones together as an unbreakable single point indicator for 1.000 SpGrav.}
* I have fermented in Cubitainers which are LDPE. They transfer oxygen so are useful when actively outgassing OR if one intends to micro oxygenate as in making sherry.
* The latest change in technique is to use a check valve and vacuum out the head space when using glass carboys (rigid). Testing them I can hold a vacuum in the year time frame,, and if used while the wine is full of gas I can pull inert CO2 out of the wine, equalizing the pressure with ambient gage pressure. (CO2 is a tool so I am not degassing early in aging)

There are also these types of lids that fit pint and quart wide mouth mason jars:
View attachment 85881

Last edited:
Good question. Juice which does not have alcohol therefore tolerates oxygen better than a finished wine. I haven’t asked a vendor what film they use so it would be a test.

Visually the kits I have seen look like EvOH film like a finished wine gets.
I imagine we could use the bags that the juice comes in from the FWK sets? Those type of bags?

Latest posts

Back