To fine or not to fine...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pecka

Reaction score
My pinot noir has been in the carboy for 18 months and I am preparing to bottle. I usually fine the wine with Super-Kleer about a month or so before bottling, however this wine appears pretty darn clear. Its probably been 6 months since I last racked it and there is some sediment in the bottom. Should I fine it, rack it, bottle (over the next month or so), rack it then bottle it, or just go right to the bottling? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
thanks

I would rack it, add 1/4 tsp kmeta and let it set for a month. if there is no more sediment after 1 month then I would bottle it.

My preference is to not add/use any clarifiers if I can help it. By the time I am ready to bottle (after 6 months to 1 year in the carboy), I usually have a number of glass marbles at the bottom and any sediment remaining settles down to the bottom among and below the marbles, so I can siphon it out without disturbing that sediment until the last bottle or two.

Back