Titration Test Help Please

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PittGrad

Reaction score
According to the instructions that come w/ the titration kit I have (from LHBS), you're to take the amount of reagent expended x .075 to arrive at acid level. In looking on line at other kits/instructions that use the EXACT same volumes as the test that I have, and their calculation is mL's of expended reagent x .1

In my case where I used 8mL to get to permanent color change, that's quite a variable in result depending on what calculation is used!

I've got to believe it's dependent on volume of sample as well as volume of reagent, but does anyone have access to a reliable chart or reliable experience that would answer what the exact calculation should be to determine acid levels? Quite a bit of time searching on line isn't getting me a clear answer. Thanks!!

The calculation also depends on the concentration or normality of the reagent and the type of reagent.

This is standard for NaOH.

TA (g/L Tartaric Acid) = (ml NaOH) (N NaOH) (0.075) (1,000) divided by (ml wine sample)

Last edited:
There are all sorts of TA test kits (and differing instructions) on the market. Like Stick said the concentration of NaOH is important as well as the sample size. Some kits come with 0.1N NaOH and some come with 0.2N NaOH so pay attention to the instructions that came with your kit and when you need to reorder NaOH make sure to reorder what came with your kit. They also sell 0.01N NaOH for use with A/O Rigs (for free SO2 testing).

Back