Time to Bottle Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GTS

Reaction score
I have a gallon each of red raspberry and peach that was racked for the third time about 2 weeks ago, June 29, to be exact. I added 1 campden tablet to each at that time. My plan was to add sorbate the next day, sweeten a little and bottle about a week later. Well that didn't happen as planned and here I am.
So my question is this; If I add the sorbate now, should I add more campden along with it? I was thinking about maybe half a tablet in each gallon. Or do you think there is sufficient k-meta in it now?

Thanks.

1 tab good for 3 months. Is this the first addition of the C-tab?
Smell it and see if it smells if so splash rack. I do ask why you didnt add the sorbate when you added the 1st c-tab?

When did you make it and whats the recipe? What steps did U do so far?

If you added some campden when it finished fermenting and then again a few weeks ago like yo said I wouldnt add any more campden, just add the sorbate and all will be fine.

I added 1 tablet at the first racking, which was in March, and another at the third racking 2 weeks ago. Smells fine, and as to why I wasn't able to add the sorbate, doesn't matter now.

Both started in February, raspberry SG 1.090. peach SG 1.085.
Both finished dry at 0.994, and have been there for 2 months.

Sounds like I'm good to add the sorbate and sweeten. Then the waiting begins.

Thanks for the replies.

Yep you are on the right track
Keep us posted.. :dg

I have a quick follow up question.
I have added sorbate, 1/2 tsp/gal, and k-meta in the form of one crushed Campden tablet, degassed a little and sweetened. I am getting an occasional bubble from each jug, at the rate of about 1 per 10-12 minutes, and this seems to be getting longer. That was yesterday and I haven't checked it today. There are no visible bubbles rising, so is it safe to assume that this is just a little gas departing the wine? Assuming nothing changes and the rate of bubbles slows, will I be good to bottle by this weekend?

Thanks to All.

It most likely is degassing a bit. We have much warmer temps now and some wines will swell and some will start to degass. Don't bottle if you are getting bubbles.

I'd try to degass a bit manually to see how much there is.

Back