Time before Adding yeast to Fruit wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larlad

Junior
Reaction score
I was wondering if it will hurt anything to wait 36hrs before adding yeast to my fruit must , as I started some last night but wont be able to be around to add the yeast for another 12 hrs at the least?

Keep it covered and maybe even a bit cool. I am presuming you added sulfite first. You should be fine especially if it was sulfited correctly.

Did you sulfite it? Is the lid under airlock? if so lay the lid on top.
If so,
When did you sulfite it if it was last night add today

I added the pectic, acidblend , energizer, and campden 8:30pm last night. I just put the lid on loose , did not apply air lock

Last edited:
I saw some where that you could apply campden 12 hrs after the other ingredients, is that a truism ...

yes. add later today and you will be fine. keep the lid loose w/o airlock

Thanks Tom, I will do that. I had some frozen wild blue berries left from 08 vacum packed, 10lbs . So what the heck I thought I would try another 3 gal batch. I was rasing the sg to the 1.080 that you suggested I should have done for the last batch, only problem I was adding just a bit of sugar, stirring, waiting and then very carefully adding until I got there, I was almost there when I noticed the top of my hydrometer was broken in the wine thief. I was not able to test it again, I dont have a backup sg meter. I accounted for the pieces of glass, unless a couple of fragments the sized of a grain of sand escaped. I will filter it when I rack the wine with a funnel and #35 filter just to be sure, I saw something like that in a cataloge. It was a bummer, it was like the top of the hydrometer just wore out....I ordered one and it will be 3 or 4 days before I get it.

Last edited:
I forget to tell you, the last SG reading I had looked to be 1.085, then 1.084 then 1.082. I think that is when the top of the sg meter was going bad and the darn paper inside was moving around...not sure, I hate to add more sugar as I think I am close. ...........I think in the future I might take a bit of the juice and warm it when adding suger ??? at any rate the amount of sugar I put it was about 2 1/8lbs per gal.

I pulled the must bag up and I have 31/2 gallons of liquid without squeezing the bag, about 4gal level in the fermenter. Are you saying I could add more? I have about 40 or 50 quarts in the freezer yet. I get a lot of juiced out of a quart. soooo shld I add more??

Always dissolve sugar before adding (heat water you dont need much)

Latest posts

Back