Thoughts on Crusher/De-stemmers?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a small motorized unit from St Pat's a few years ago. Works well and can process a couple tons an hour. It replaced a manual unit that works fine if you had someone to help shovel the grapes in the hopper. Got tiring for over a ton though.

Definitely recommend the motorized unit if you will pick over a ton of grapes.

I crush right into macro bins and use the stand for storage.

It depends on how much you do. I looked for a used motorized unit for about two years, but couldn't find one that I was willing to jump on. I finally reached out to a semi-local retailer and asked about a discount on a new manual model. They agreed and I haven't looked back. I don't do more than about 500lbs at a time (at most) and it's super easy with the manual model.

Yea, all depends on how much you do at a time. If I’m doing a couple hundred pounds, I dread lugging around and cleaning my motorized unit.

IMG_1513 2.jpg Apart from dragging it in and out of the house I wouldn't give it up I bought this used off of a cragslist ad

Like others have said it depends on how much you plan to do. I do between 200 and 400lbs in the spring and again in the fall. A manual crusher is fine. Just when the cranking is starting to burn my arms I'm done.

Thanks, I think I'm leaning towards a manual. Can someone check my math.....1 lug equals around 35 pounds, which will make about 2 gallons of wine?

Thanks, I think I'm leaning towards a manual. Can someone check my math.....1 lug equals around 35 pounds, which will make about 2 gallons of wine?

It varies- but yeah your pretty close. Assume 3 lugs for 6gal of finished wine (+ change)

My personal general rule is total lbs of grapes = gallons of must shifting decimal point one spot. And expect to yield ~65% of finished wine.

Ex. 108 lbs (3 lugs) = 10.8 gal must = 7 gal wine

Also- don’t hate on the motorized C/D!

Buying tip:
You can check with your local home winery supply shop after harvest season is over to see if they sell their used rental equipment.

Anybody ever tried converting a manual crusher destemmer into a motorized one? It's usually pretty easy to find old electric motors that people are giving away or selling for cheap. Seems like it should be possible (with the right size pulleys) to adapt it to a manual crusher...

Anybody ever tried converting a manual crusher destemmer into a motorized one? It's usually pretty easy to find old electric motors that people are giving away or selling for cheap. Seems like it should be possible (with the right size pulleys) to adapt it to a manual crusher...

@ibglowin has one. And IIRC, @mainshipfred has the same idea. I think all you need is an old treadmill motor.

Back