This is Scotty's fault!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jeff D said:
Just reading this thread added 10 points to my cholesterol, and it's already high. One of our neighbors has a few milk cows, we end up with a quart of cream per gallon of milk.</font>
</font>
Jeff</font>

You should easily get a half pound of butte from that much cream. The resulting buttermilk was/is a new experience for me. It is delicious not sour .

Whoa! That's really looking good there Jobe!

Sausage, bread ..... I gotta go make breakfast now! So much for the walk around the neighborhood.... I'll have to double up on the laps after seeing this!

Thanks
smiley1.gif

Jobe! You might try this place.

<a href="http://www.lemproducts.com/category/grinder_plates" target="_blank">http://www.lemproducts.com/category/grinder_plates

</A>

They have just about everything you will need for a grinder.

You have definately got it going on my friend...That all looks awesome !!

Jobe, the sausage looks incredible! Love the Hot Italian! If you want to try something different with the butter, and IMHO very good, make a European style, or cultured butter. Short of me sending you some lactic cultures, get a couple Tbls of Yogurt, the kind with live active cultures in it, plain or flavored,OR, couple Tbls of buttermilk. Mix it in your heavy cream, let it sit a day, then process as normal. There will be some whey to drain off, but the results are very good.
smiley20.gif

I had read before when I was making cheese about the Yogart but never tried it, I think I will on my next try.

I was amazed how much of the pint (actually 2), made butter, I would say 96% of the liquid turned to butter........ I never knew.

I ordered a different grinder plate for my machine today. Theres a guy on ebay from Washington that apparently makes them, so when I get that, I'll try the sausage again, with less Garlic and no wine in it, and maybe some Pepperoni, dry cured.

swillologist said:
Jobe! You might try this place.

http://www.lemproducts.com/category/grinder_plates
http://www.lemproducts.com/category/grinder_plates

They have just about everything you will need for a grinder.

Unfortunately, anything Kitchen Aid, has to come from Kitchen Aid.........

The older grinder attachments use to have a courser grind to it (bigger holes), but all the new ones have small holes as the course grind plate.

This is what I got off ebay today:

20081231_183139_grinderplate.JPG

As you can see, it's a little different from the other grinder plates on the market. But this one should work fine for a course grind that I'm looking for.

Edit: As a guide, the center hole is a little larger than 1/4"

Maybe Waldo can send you some of his Bulgarian Buttermilk and some oak too!
smiley4.gif

The stuffing plat that came with my KA ia just a plastic hub with the 2 pins that stick out the 2 sides. All they are is a spacer for the screw to stay in place.

Just made some bratwurst. Fried a small patty up to check the taste and OH MY........ These are FANTASTIC!!!!!

I'll Post some pics later.

Here are the pics of the Bratwurst that we made today. This came out tasting so good, I can definitely see this being made alot!

After stuffing, letting the spices meld. We made 5 pounds, but only cooking a couple today. Froze the rest for the future.

20090101_144828_100_2138_Medium.jpg

Then we <strike>boiled</strike> Simmered them in Beer (Bud Light), Although it's all gone in this pic.......... sorry.

20090101_145408_100_2139_Medium.jpg

However it doesn't take em long to start producing their own grease for frying.

20090101_145623_100_2140_Medium.jpg

We browned them up really good, insuring that they are thoroughly cooked through.

20090101_145853_100_2141_Medium.jpg

Then you smother it with mustard on a nice fresh roll and enjoy!

20090101_150050_100_2142_Medium.jpg

makes my mouth water. Today I fired up the Bradley smoker and did a whole chicken, a brick of extra old cheddar, a small bit of Gouda from a local cheesemaker, and some red onions.

Tonight, we will feast on the above with crackers, smoked oysters, and pickled herring.

I'm already on the lookout for Kitchen Aid grinders/stuffers. I've had my mixer for about 15 years now and it never leaves the counter.

This thing is so awesome, I'm having so much fun with it.

I am however on the lookout for a different stuffer. Maybe the Northern tool 5# stuffer. For what I do, it will work good. The kitchen aid is to finicky for doing stuffing.

Some of the next few things that I do will involve the smoker, I love smoked foods.

Never had smoked oysters (love raw oysters) or pickled herring....... Will have to try those. Smoked cheddar is very common down here......... It's a required taste that I haven't mastered just yet...
smiley11.gif

Dean said:
makes my mouth water. Today I fired up the Bradley smoker and did a whole chicken, a brick of extra old cheddar, a small bit of Gouda from a local cheesemaker, and some red onions.

Tonight, we will feast on the above with crackers, smoked oysters, and pickled herring.

I'm already on the lookout for Kitchen Aid grinders/stuffers. I've had my mixer for about 15 years now and it never leaves the counter.

Make sure you warn folks about the correct temp for smoking cheese. It could get messy
smiley36.gif

Yeah I should say that my smoker is capable of doing both a hot and cold smoke. I hot smoke the chicken, and then cold smoke the cheese. The temperature never gets above 85F when doing the cheese. I smoke the chicken between 150F and 220F, gradually increasing the heat until the chicken is done.

Jobe the coarser grind made my sausages better too. I tried with a 3/4 plate but that was too course--we seem to favor the 1/4 in plate. In making kielbasas try the 1/4 inch plate for the meat and 1/ in plate for the fat. This allows the meat chunks to stand out a bit.

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/466/p52300276bt.jpg</a>

A buddy gave me a venison shoulder, so I'm looking for a good venison sausage recipe. I had one years ago, as I recall it was mixed with pork, fat, hot pepper and other spices. Just need to figure out the proper mixture and spices.

Latest posts

Back