thermostats for coolers

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

intoxicating

Reaction score
Wandering around the internet one night I remember seeing a thermostat to convert a regular refrigerator to wine temperature range. Now I can't find it. Anyone have any info about this? A friend offered me his "spare" refrigerator, a smallish old upright with no real freezer, just a space for two ice cube trays. (He and his wife are packrats, and will trade it to me for three bottles of wine!!!)

Not sure how I will manage stacking or shelving inside it yet. Don't have it at my house yet. The inside is pretty square, with removable shelves but I don't remember any drawers. Someone out there has done this before, so I am listening.

Its called a Johnson's Analog refrigerator thermostat....

[ame]http://www.google.com/search?q=Johnson+Analog+Refrigerator+Thermostat&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a[/ame]

certainly no expert here on wine storage, but I have come across some different readings which indicate the vibration associated with the compressor could become troublesome with storing wine in a refrigerator.

I have often wondered how big of deal the vibration would be and if you could use pieces of rubber to isolate the compressor vibration as well as use rubber to isolate each individual shelf inside the refrigerator itself.

anyway, thought I was pass this info along...

I would like to hear your results...

We will have the Johnson Analog controllers in stock and on the website next week. They work great for regulating refrigerators. I have one on my fermentation fridge and my lager fridge.

I have the Ranco but it was more expensive but needed it due to using it for also bringing my brewing equipment up to very high temps. For what you need the Johnson will be perfect and the cheapest and through George you know you cant go wrong! Glad you brought this up!

The thermostats look to be designed for beer making. Does anyone know for sure if the vibration of a refrigerator would mess up wine?
smiley5.gif

Or could I line the bottom and sides with Styrofoam and reduce the vibration?

intoxicating said:
The thermostats look to be designed for beer making. Does anyone know for sure if the vibration of a refrigerator would mess up wine?
smiley5.gif

Or could I line the bottom and sides with Styrofoam and reduce the vibration?
Compressor vibration effects on wine can get to one of them religon/politics issues with vocal opinions and little facts.
What I learned from researching the subject last year was:
Compressor vibration on wine storage is not really a issue. The effect of the vibration would at worse case keep the sediment in suspension instead of letting it settle out. Sediment should not really be a problem with a wine that has been correctly cleared before bottling. Not much different than would happen anyway when the bottle gets tipped up to pop the cork.
Kepping the temperature below 80deg and as stable as possible are more important during bottle aging and storage.

Thanks for the info. I understand that bottle shock is caused by the change in oxygenation, and has a real effect on the taste. I have heard stories about corks absorbing household cleaner odors and tainting the case stored in the laundry room. No mention was made of vibration from the washer and drier.
I understand that if you are going to make expensive wine and store it for a long time you need a dignified, respectful place for it to become a dignified, respectable wine. Just was not sure how much the guided visualization actually does for the wine on a physical level. (As a pain management therapist, I work with guided visualizations, so I know the power the mind has over the mind, and perceptions.)

Thanks again for the info.

I have one for my kegerator and one for my fermentation freezer. They work great.

As for vibration, a lot of wine comes from California. They have earthquakes all the time. I taste no difference.

Pablo said:
As for vibration, a lot of wine comes from California. They have earthquakes all the time. I taste no difference.

That sums it up nicely. NO ONE could argue with that analogy.

I had wine in a fridge for almost a year and it was a very old fridge, that was almost 3 years ago and I still have a few bottles of the wine that was in there and its still decent although pushing its time limit for a fruit wine.

Latest posts

Back