The Winehouse

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice start and nice yard! Keep us updated and enjoy the warm weather dangit, 4 degrees here this morning.

What a great start. Thanks for the pictures and keep us updated.
It will be nice to put all of your materials together and out of your kitchen.

here is my take...I have been in construction for 30 years...a 12 x 12 space is ok for a wine making area, but thats it.

If you are limited to that space, forget the loft idea all together.
You can buy a self contained air condionted wall in cooler that is 12 x 12 x 8 very cheap....
put it in place and your done...it assemble in about 2 hours.
then finish the way you want.
inside and outside.
floors, ceiling, ac, compressor, walls, everything include..
you buy u assemble and yuour done.
max time 5 hours.

consider moving your window over the sink area to the other wall. that way when you expand, you can go the whole 12 feet and gain lots of storage shelf space.

cheers

winehouse3.jpg

It’s finally time to start building... my first batch of materials came to $790.00 but that covers the frame, roof and sheathing and siding for both. Including the slab the total is up to $1,590 and I have a long way to go yet. I did get lucky enough to have my son and one of his friends volunteer to help pick-up and bring the lumber into my yard but after that I was on my own. It took me 3 straight 8 hour days to get this far but considering my lack of construction experience I think I made good progress and it looks pretty professional.

Now I have 5 days to get over being sore and stiff let all the blisters and scratches and bruises heal then back at it again on Saturday. I’m hoping to finish the roof, sheathing and shingles plus install windows and siding over the next weekend. Go Weekend Warriors!

materials.jpg

SinkCorner.jpg

1stWeekend.jpg

Looks great. For the soreness/stiffness, I heartily recommend what I call "the remodeler's cocktail" (or "the builder's cocktail," in this case): two Aleves washed down by a large glass of red wine. It works wonders.

Looks great. For the soreness/stiffness, I heartily recommend what I call "the remodeler's cocktail" (or "the builder's cocktail," in this case): two Aleves washed down by a large glass of red wine. It works wonders.

And a spin in the jacuzzi. ;)

Looks like a great project and you are well on your way.

I am not a builder so I don't know what is required, but I have done some construction and passed inspections. I am not sure if your windows are adequately framed. Did you get a design that showed them that way, or did you pass inspection? Normally you would have a header, probably 2 2x6 with 1/2 plywood between to make the whole thing 3.5 inches thick to match your wall thickness. You would have jack studs between the sill and the header, and you would have additional studs on the outside.

Like the one shown as you scroll down this page.

http://housecraft.ca/2013/01/27/open-up-creating-interior-windows-in-load-bearing-walls/

Again, I am not a builder so perhaps I would be over building what is required.

Derunner, I see what you mean. I guess I'm going to live with the 2 - 2x4's as my header but maybe add another couple of studs on each side. I think it'll still be more than adequate for this "storage shed". I'm was trying to build to code as much as possible but I'm not pulling permits for the project. I'm kind of more worried about forgetting the header above the door, think I'll have to tear that part out and add back to it. Appreciate the info, thanks.

That's what happens when you let a Graphic Artist play with power tools and wood.
Mike

The door appears to be on a non load bearing wall. Theoretically the ridge boards in held up by the rafters once in place. However you require straps, 2x4s,between opposing rafters under the ridge. This will eliminate head space in your loft. If you are not going to do this the post supporting your ridge board needs to extend down to baseplate. Therefore over the door you definetely need a 2x6 header with double jack studs.
The header in the window as described above should be supported by jack studs which run down to the base plate. usually at least 2x6s are used for a header spanning that distance.
Also your double top plate should interlace at the corner, tieing the walls together.
The end stud on the wall to the left in the picture should be tripled up to allow for it to protrude inside the attached wall to allow for proper nailing and drywall backing in the corner.
In the future if you sheet your walls prior to standing them up it is always much easier.
Good luck.

I was up on the roof finishing up the rafters 3 weeks ago and thought the building felt really wobbly. Got on the internet and soon realized that a framed building with no diagonal supports or shear sheathing is not a very steady building, in fact, high winds or earthquakes could possibly take it down. So, last weekend, I added 1x4 let-in bracing to all 4 walls and the whole structure instantly became rock solid. After that I was able to get back up on the roof, lay down all the OSB board sheathing and then get the felt paper stapled down. Based on suggestions here I tied the rafters together and added to the framing around the window. I also sealed the openings left above the wall plate and rafters with 2x4s and 2x6s and am adding an extra 2x4 to allow attaching the drywall in that one corner (Thanks DaveL). I’m still not sure about how to fix the doorway. Can I just knock out the four short studs, put in a double header and shorter studs above it? I’ll have to figure something out on that. That’s weekends 3 and 4 so I’ve got about 64 hours actual work into this now. Update on weekend 5 “the dreaded shingles” next.
Mike

Bracing.JPG

Rafters.jpg

Weekend 5 - I was really dreading this task, it seemed to me that working in the sun on top of black paper on your hands and knees while intermittently climbing a 12 foot ladder every 5 minutes would really do an excellent job of remining me just how old 56 really is in dog years. BUT, the toughest or most physical part (I hope) of my building is now behind me. I so dreaded the roof and it wasn't as bad as I expected. It took me about 8 hours on sat and another 6 on sunday to completely shingle it and I think it came out looking great.

According to the weather people it'll get a serious testing this week, we're expecting from 2 to 4 inches of very badly needed rain from wed through sunday. It’ll be a great excuse to take a weekend off, relax, drink a few beers and watch for any leaks. The next steps should be more fun and rewarding. Once I start adding windows and exterior wall siding it'll really start looking like building.

1stShingles.jpg

RidgeCap.jpg

Can I just knock out the four short studs, put in a double header and shorter studs above it?

Yes. You can use two 2x4s nailed together and turned on their side (so the crack between them is up and down). But I typically use at least two 2x6s together and turned on their side.

You need these type headers over each door and window, or the wall may sag there over the years and that is how you get wavy rooflines and out of square doors and windows.

Not a hard fix at all.

Weekends 6 and 7
I really want to thank you guys who patiently (repetedly) suggested I correct the headers, the insistance was finally enough to get me to stop being lazy about it and make it right. Most of the stuff I did weekend 6 was either structural or boring. Drilling and installing some extra anchors for the base plates, re-doing the headers over the door and windows and drilling holes for all electrical wiring - stuff that I didn't do correctly the first time and prepwork for upcoming stuff, it's a learning experience. I also installed the windows and 4 of the exterior siding panels. Last weekend I had planned on finishing up the siding but we went into a serious hot spell, around 100 degrees both sat. and sun. so I slowed my pace a bit and only finished the lower 8’ sections of walls. The air conditioner is supposed to arrive tomorrow so this coming weekend I should be able to get that installed and then finish the siding on the highest parts of the walls. After that, all that’s left outside is trim and paint.

fixes.jpg

siding.jpg

Nice. Glad you took the advice about the headers. A job worth doing and all that.

Always look forward to seeing your pictorial updates

cheers

Back