The Pulse of Limited Release

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which brand of Limited Release wines are you going to purchase?

• Mosti Mondiale Meglioli

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Winexpert Limited Edition

• RJ Spagnols Restricted Quantity

• CellarCraft Limited Release Collection

• Total voters

JimCook

Reaction score
It's that time of the year again - time to pre-order limited release wines to allow for exposure to varietals that may not be available during the rest of the year or to have access to the best raw kit materials that are available. Which manufacturers (and kits if you'd like to be specific) are you planning on purchasing?

- Jim

Nothing this time most likely, no O.T. and the wife is starting nursing school in Jan. so funds will be pretty darn tight. Oh well, I have a cellar full anyway!

As with last year, it's not a matter of which kits as much as it is a matter of how many of them. After making the four Meglioli kits that I had purchased last year, I'm incredibly impressed with the intensity of the raw materials. While virtually every other kit that I have made goes into an 'aroma hibernation' in secondary fermentation, the Meglioli kits smell just wonderful. The Cabernet and the Merlot are both dark fruit, yet individually different, the Sangiovese is raspberry/cherry, and the Rojo Intenso is a deep mix of fruit. While I already have a handful of waiter pulls (and agree with George that they are just the best wine openers, in my not so humble opinion), the 10% discount is enticing indeed.
Based on George's taste test results, I'm going to pick up a Barolo this year for sure - the rest is still up in the air.

- Jim

To those who voted, which particular kits are you looking at purchasing?
- Jim

Do you have any easy questions? If not, I'd like to buy a vowel.

Jim, I voted and I am leaning toward the MM Barolo.
smiley36.gif

uavwmn,
I'm with you on that one - my selection is narrowing down - it's looking like Meglioli Barolo, 2 x Meglioli Cabernet Sauvignon, Meglioli Merlot, and Meglioli Sangiovese. I may still change my mind, but it's not looking as likely currently.

- Jim

Nice selection, Jim.
I am definite on the Barolo too.
We have last years Cab in secondary now and agree with your assessment of the aroma. Mouth watering! So,we may try one if those this year again. I like merlot so I'll pass that by Mary who is being consulted on all kit selections this year. (I had most of the fun last year!)
J

I will probably purchase at least 2 brands. Right now I'm leaning toward the RJ Meritage and the Barbaresco. The WE reisling, dolcetto and the merlot. I would love to spring for the Meglioli, but we are doing alot of work on the house and are planning on moving soon. Its crazy here right now, but it will be worth it in the end. ( Bigger wine area coming soon)
smiley2.gif

Jack on Rainy said:
I am definite on the Barolo too.
We have last years Cab in secondary now and agree with your assessment of the aroma. Mouth watering! So,we may try one if those this year again. I like merlot so I'll pass that by Mary who is being consulted on all kit selections this year.

Of the commercial Barolos that I have tasted thusfar, I was surprised at how 'not big' the wines were to my palate, but with George's taste test here, I figured 'why not.'

I was originally planning some AllJuice-levels of the wines I had listed above, but after making the Megliolis and being so thoroughly impressed with what I've experienced thusfar, it wasn't really a choice anymore.

It seems to me that most of the limited edition wines (other than Mosti's) I've seen over the years have been somewhat 'non-standard' varietals. It would be neat to find a Zinfandel, Syrah, Pinot Noir, Tempranillo (the real stuff from Spain that is almost black and rich as opposed to the light red wine that tends to find its way into American stores) at the same level of quality as the Meglioli - I imagine they could be nothing short of fantastic.

Moto-girl - congrats on the soon-to-be-expanded-wine-area. A big area will need some big wine kits in there. :) I tasted a Dolcetto on my California trip in August - it was a very nice light fruity red wine and was the first time I had tasted the varietal. It reminded me ofthe California Montepulciano wines I had tasted.

- JimEdited by: JimCook

Joseph and I have decided to make the Alpine Foothills Italian Barbaresco and High Altitude Argentinean Trio from Spagnols, the Italian Dolcetto and theAlsatian Riesling from Winexpert and the Yakima Synergy II and Garnacha from Cellar Craft. We are going to make the Cellar Craft Barbera, as well, so we will have made all of the principal wines of the Piedmont region of Italy.
In addition, we will be making 4 each of the following Meglioli's:
Amarone
Barolo
Chardonnay, and
Rojo Grande

Now that I know what to expect from the Meg's, I am going to make what I want to drink, for a change!

George,

And with that many limited release kits being purchased, you'll be sure to put your free waiter's pull wine opener to good use. :) I don't see the Cellar Craft Barbera listed anywhere, but my eyes have been playing tricks on me this morning. Can you link it for me, George? I have been impressed with all of the commercial Barbera/Bonarda wines that I have tasted.

Did you pick your Meglioli choices based on your preference of the tastes of what you have already made or by some other method?

- Jim

I missed the Barbera on my first CC order, so it is not listed. I plan to order more by the end of the month and the Barbera will be included.
The Megs for me are based on what I want to drink. Joseph and I have made 95 wine kits in the last year and 5 were made based on our tastes. The rest were made for the database. I thought it was time to make something just for us. Besides, I need to do a video on the stainless steel tanks.

I'm thinking the Meglioli Borolo, Chard, and Pinot Grigio would be tasty. I'd love to make the Amorone as well and compare it to the AllJuice Amarone I have in the bottle.

Decisions, decisions!

The order's in - five Meglioli kits to be delivered in the beginning of 2009. Thank goodness I have other kits 'cooking' in the cellar to keep me busy until then. :)
Has anyone made the Meglioli Pinot Grigio or Chardonnay before who can provide tasting notes?

- Jim

Back