The Oak Thread

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Absolutely it needs to be topped off after youve degased it and sulfited it. When bulk aging youll also need to add more sulfite after 3 1/2 - 4 months. Youll want to add another 1/4 tsp per 6 gallons at that point and another 1/8 tsp every 4 months there after. These are just approx #'s and will do fine but S02 testing with a good tester is the best way to ensure everything is on the up and up.

Thank you!

Just wanted to say thanks to all who responded. I feel ready to begin.

JA

I am wondering about recycling neutral barrels into oak staves. I realize that, by definition, a neutral barrel has given up what it can to the wine already. However, what if you were to take the (large-scale) staves from that barrel, and cut them into, say, strips. Perhaps toast them to suit. Do you think there would now be extractable tannins within proximity of the new surfaces? Or do you reckon the original extraction penetrated pretty deep into the original stave?

My LHBS only had oak chips. Is there any ratio to compare a recipe that calls for cubes to the chips? Also - do you need to sanitize the cubes/chips at all before adding to wine?

I got 2 X 3 1/2 litre, white oak barrels, brand new, imported from mexico 4 years ago, one was plain oak inside, the other was highly toasted oak, when I received them, I filled them both with water, to prevent shrinkage, as I had reduced my home brewing due to complications ie I decided to cut down on drinking at the time, as I had just lost my parents and split with my ex, I was therfore, going through a rough patch in my life and alcohol wasn't appropriate anymore, anyway long story short, I have begun brewing again, upon checking these barrels, I got a yield of 3 1/2 litres of oak flavoured water, due to evaporation etc, between the two barrels, the water had been stood for 4 years in brand new oak barrels, so, its probably fair to say that its a fairly accurate description of the results.

I`ve basically combined the 3 1/2 litres of oak water together, to produce a pale brown, whisky coloured liquid, with the results below.

Anyway, i made an apple/mango, 5 gallon brew recently and decided to add 500 mls of this water to the brew, in an attempt to try and age it, the results where totally outstanding, its added a caramelised coffee flavour that is almost indescribably nice.

The original brew was apple mango, with mango being the predominant flavour, for anyone who hasn't brewed this kind of drink, mango appears to have very complexed sugars which take a long time to break down hence, unless u ferment it for a very long time, it has a hint of sweetness.

Anyway, I was itching to sample this drink, so 4 days ago, I added sodium metabisulphate and some gelatine finings, to kill the yeast and preserve some sweetness.

Tonight ive racked it and added 500 mls of the oak water, also, ive been having a sly sampler of about 500 mls of the results.

Well the taste is awesome, usually this ale tastes a bit similar to what you would expect a mango schnapps to taste like ie slightly thick and creamy with some sugars.

With the added oak water it has a hint of sweetness, some creamy taste and a very strong mid hit of caramelised coffee with an after taste of toasted oak.

Confirming the American oak flavouring above.

Oh just as an add, the wine was left for an hour before drinking just in case there was any nasties in the oak water, the wine was around 15% so i figured it would kill anything lurking in there, lets hope im right ;-)

One other thing, it has completely changed the flavour, if anything it is over oaked, so, now the oak is the predominating taste, but, I have to admit its a very nice flavour.

Last edited:
Back