Testing alcohol content with a hydrometer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inspector7

Junior
Reaction score
Being new to wine making, I am slowly becoming familiar with the equipment that I have. I had the opportunity to be the recipeint of some used equipment, part of which was a nice hydrometer. However no instructions came with it. When I started my batch of wine I tested the SG of the must. My recipe says the wine is ready to bottle when the SG reaches 1.000. My wine has reached this stage, had woonderful flavor and clarity. My question is, when the SG reaches 1.000 can I tell what the alcohol content is using the hydrometer, and how would I do this?

To calculate the Alcohol by Volume of your wine you can use this calculation:

OG: Starting Specific Gravity

FG: Ending Specific Gravity

(OG-FG) x 135.9 = ABV

Sorry....Welcome to the forum glad to have you aboard!!!Edited by: masta

Welcome Inspector 7!

I'm pretty new to this myself, but want you to know the folks on this forum will be happy to pass along answers to ANY question you have, so don't hesitate to ask!

Scott - You are using the generous multiplier! I've been more conservative
by using 131. Still don't know if one is more "right".

Bill

I agree...if you search long enough you will find slightly different numbers but does .5% ABV really make a difference.
smiley2.gif

Thanks to all for the information. Using the method provided I have come up with an alcohol content of 13.5%. I knew there had to be a mathematical method for the calculation, I just didn't know what it was. Now for a new question. I started another batch of wine prior to obtaining my hydrometer. Therefore I have no SG reading at the start. What can I use, besides drinking a bottle and seeing the after effects, to test alcohol content.

Latest posts

Back