Temperature to Ferment

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msfgroup

Reaction score
Good Afternoon

I know this may come across as another nutty question but I am ready to begin my first two kits of wine making. Both are white a Pinot Grigio and a Chardonnay. I am planning to do both fermentations in my basement that is maintaining a temperature of about 68 degrees F ...................NOW here is the question I have read everything form 65 degrees to 90 degrees for both fermentations would someone PLEASE tell me the recommended temperature and if my basement at 68 degrees F will be fine or should I put a brew belt on both of them?

Thanks in advance
MSFGROUP

Most reports/comments/write-ups point to cooler 60'sF temps for whites while reds do best in mid to upper 70's. This will result in a slightly longer ferment time for the whites by comparison. Stick with your instructions till you feel comfortable experimenting. Good luck and enjoy!!

you basement temp is fine. at 68 degree the ferment may take a little longer than if you were at 72 but that is a benefit especially for whites as slower fermentation at cooler temp causes the wine to retain it aroma.

You should be fine. Many people ferment whites at temps in the 60's to slow down the fermentation and prevent "blowing off" the volital elements that contribute to the nose of the wine. Also, water retains heat pretty well and fermentation will generate its own heat that will raise the wine temp a few degrees above room temp. Use warm water when you are mixing up the must so that your starting temp is up around 75. Pitch the yeast. Put a lid on the primary with an airlock and wrap a blanket or towel around the primary to help keep it warm. The fermentation will start within a few hours and be going strong within 24 hours or so. At that point it will be making its own heat. Once it's off to a good start you can decide if you want to keep the blankets on or not. You really do want a relative cool temp for whites so 68-72 is fine. You don't want it much warmer than that while it is fermenting. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

I also agree. 68 degrees should be fine.

The more important thing to consider is the actual temperature of your wine. You would want that to be a minimum of 65 degrees to get things started.

Assuming that you are going for a cold fermentation (IMHO best for whites), I would consider the following...

As wine ferments, heat is produced, so it is important to monitor your fermenting wine's temperature as you go through fermentation.

If your wine is spiking to 75 or 80 degrees, you may want to consider lowering the temperature of your basement to keep the wine cool.

Latest posts

Back