Temperature Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colorado_wade

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

My name is Wade, and I am new to the hobby. I am just now on day 3 of my first kit, which is a Vinifera Noble Merlot. The wine is still in the primary fermenter, and I just checked the temp this morning, and found that it is at 80-82 degree. I also stirred it to re-suspend the yeast, per the kit instructions, and it started fizzing quite a bit. I just wanted to make sure that I will still be ok with that temperature, and if the fizzing is normal at this stage. My SG is down to 1.042, so I was gonna do the first racking, but thought I would check to make sure the temperature isn't going to be an issue.

Thanks for your help,

Wade

That's a good temperature for now.
The temperature is up some because the wine is fermenting quite actively at this point. As fermenting rate slows, the temperature will begin to fall. Depending on your room temperature, you may need to apply a brew belt to keep the temperature up in the low to mid 70'sF until fermentation ends.

You will definitely want to temperature in the mid 70'sF, when you are ready to degas.

Great!!! Thanks Robie, I really appreciate the quick response. I'll go ahead and do the first racking then since the SG is perfect according to the instructions. I'll keep a close eye on the temp to make sure it stays mid 70's. thanks again for the help.

Wade

Latest posts

Back