Temp

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZSHJ

Junior
Reaction score
How important is the temp when bulk aging, and what is the best temp to keep your carboys at.

First, I think it is important to maintain an even temperature (no big temperature spikes up or down.) Actually, bulk aging helps with that as the bulk wine maintains its temperature better than individual bottles of wine.

Second, I try to maintain a temperature between 65 and 70 degrees in my wine storage area. This is difficult for me because I don't really have a heating/cooling system dedicated to my wine storage but I do try to keep the temp in that area in that range.

Mine stay at 75 year round. As the Admiral said steady, stable temps are your friend.
VC

Thanks for the info, my stick ons show 68-70 so I think all is well.

Think of it this way.
The warmer the temp during aging the faster it will age

The cooler the temp during aging the slower it will age

if you are aging in a vessel in a basement or a floor that has direct contact w the underlying soil...as in a cement floor sitting on the soil....then you probably can get your temps down a bit more and keep a steady hold on a good temperature even when the air temp[ surrounding the vessel varies a bit

Back