Temp in winery

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rrawhide

Reaction score
Hi Al and Rich and others

How cold does your winery get in the wintertime? Do you have heat and what do you have it set on? My barn/wine area is not controlled and the cool room gets pretty cold too. Do you worry about it?

Sure like some feedback on this topic everyone.

thanx

rick

I am currently at 56 degrees. I have forced air (in floor) that keeps it from dropping much further. In the coldest months I use a small electric space heater with a thermostat as well to keep it from dropping any further than 55.

Wines seem to be happy but its a little chilly to work in!
smiley26.gif

The part of the winery I used last winter I heated with a small electric space heater to keep the temps moderated a bit. I just didn't work in there the coldest months. Even though I kept it above freezing for the water, it was too chilly to work. This year I will deal with it as that comes into play. The new part heats pretty easily so far.

my place is pretty well insulated w no windows...2x6 construction...so i get by in the winter w an elec heater from Lowe's...and on average i can hold 58 degrees during the winter..IF the outside temps get to -10 to -20 then for those few days i add one more heater...my average heating cost is 3 bucks a day..we have high elec rates here
currently w night temps the way they are, i have the heat on w its

attached thermostat regulating things

i have to strike a balance currently because we also use the room for tastings....so i have to have 68 degrees to open the wines up

I use a small electric space heater with a thermostat as well to keep it from dropping any further than 55.

I would seriously look at a kerosene or propane heater as a backup in the event you lose your electriity

I would imagine the either of those would probably be cheaper to run then electric.

Wouldn't an electric space heater be a little safer indoors than a propane or kerosene heater?
smiley2.gif

Although an electric space heater shouldn't be used unattended either, really...

Lots of furnaces are propane or natural gas. Look over the statistics, those electric heaters cause "lots" of fires each year. Most of them are due to people thinking as long as its not a fire we can put it right near the curtains though! When I grew up we used a kerosene heater all winter long and never had a problem.

Latest posts

Back