Tell me again about using bananas to give wine body

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poormanfarm

Reaction score
I am making 5 gal of peach. I read here somewhere that adding bananas to the fermenter bucket would give the peach wine body? Can someone address this for me?

I couldn't tell you if I do it correctly or not but I slice all of the nanners and place them in a nylon bag. I then place them in water (how much depends on how many nanners, usually just enough to cover them in the pot) then slow boil them for about an hour. remove the nanners and toss them, let the batch cool and add it to the primary.

Duster, the liquor from how many bananas (or how many pounds of bananas) do you add use for a gallon of wine? You say you slice them. Does that mean that you don't use the peel? Are these bananas over-ripe, ripe or still green? What is the reason for using bananas? Is this a more modern version of the folk recipes that used to call for barley or bread to be added to fruit wines?

I also add bananas to my Peach Wine. I read long ago about them adding body, BUT I did it more for the name of my wine, "B S Peach" It's a banana-strawberry-peach blend in the fermenter. It's very good. Roy

I've only used them once. All I did was slice (with skin on) and throw directly into the primary. How much to use seems to vary from what I've read. I've seen everything from one or two per batch, to a pound per gallon.

don't golden rasins do the same thing as far as adding body go's?

I just slice a lb or 2 up and toss in primary if doing a heat extraction. Just slice them peel and all and toss in fermenter with peaches and dump hot water over them. If you ferment straight juice I dont think you will need it. I use them when I am short on fruit.

The old recipes of adding malt to wine must, it makes a good nutrient if you run out.

Back