Tart Cherry Concentrate Any ideas?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kemo

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out how many gallons i need to make out of a couple 32 oz (one quart) bottles of Tart Cherry Concentrate. I got three of em on clearance at kroger for $3.50/pc. I grabbed as many as i could seeing as their usually around 20 bucks. The bottle says its from about 25 pounds of cherries.

My question is how much water to add so i still get lots of flavor but not make it too tart? Add oak? What should the pH of non grape reds be? Oh ya and i have some dried elderberries i was thinking about adding to it.

Could try to add just enough water to get the sg to 1.085ish, can always add a f-pack later for flavor. As far as adding the oak and elderberries, why not give it a try?

Let us know how it turns out, good luck!

I think I would use 2 cans for a six gal batch and use the third can for an F-Pack. I try to get the TA to .60 as I do not have a PH meter yet.

BOB

I'm not saying it won't be good. it may turn out to be quite tart and backsweetening will adjust that.

BOB

We were on our way back to Texas from Michigan yesterday and today and I stopped at several Kroger's to pick up some of the Cherry concentrate...all we could find at any of them was Cherry Juice made from concentrate...is yours Cherry Juice concentrate or juice made from concentrate?

It was actual cherry juice concentrate. it said that it was made from 25 pounds of cherries!

GRR.... Stuck fermentation. 1.015

1qt tart cherry concentrate
36oz blackberries juiced
3 tbls dried elderberries
ph 3.53
ta .60
starting sg 1.080

Stir it up real good and make sure the temp is up on it. Maybe a little nutrient would help get it going again.

BOB

I put a tablespoon in at the beginning. i heard that putting too much in will affect the taste. also i put a half teaspoon of energizer in on wednesday

Well no luck on fermenting it out dry but there is a milky-ish white film on the top layer of wine. Whenever i prod it whith my finger it comes out solid. Is it Mold? I cant find anything about it in my books.

Latest posts

Back