RJ Spagnols tannins in kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derunner

Reaction score
I have 9 different reds that I started this summer including the rjs Winery Series Super Tuscan. As I racked them about 6 weeks ago non of them struck me as very tannin flavored. 3 are zins, a malbec, chianti, merlot, pinot noir, and red blend.

Does the tannin flavor grow as a wine ages?

Is it possible to add more tannin while aging? If so how much to add. I would think you add small and let mix for some time then sample again and perhaps add more?

Thanks.

Tancor Grand Cru. 4-6 grams per 6 gallons. After adding, give it 2-4 weeks to fully show.

I usually use Tannin Riche, up to 1/2 gram per gallon at racking and give it the standard 2-4 weeks. I prefer Tannin Riche because it gives a a perception of light sweetness to the wine, a really nice smooth astringency (hows that for an oxymoron "smooth astringency) . $1.99 at Midwest Supplies.

Tannins decrease with time.

I am just Now doing my first kit with added tannins. I'll see in a year or so.

This is interesting, I had powdered tannin I used for skeeterpee so I thought that was what would be used. But it sounds like a there are products specifically for finishing the wine.

After several flabby red kits, I too am going to start "Tannin Riche" at least with the more value oriented stuff. I came across this article from which, my take away was that kits tend to lack adequate tannins and acidity in favor of a quicker turn around time.

Here is the summary at the end of that article:

Flavor Overview

• Alcohol: Add sugar, honey or concentrate to increase the alcohol by volume. Don’t go above 13 percent ABV.
• Acid: Add tartaric, citric, malic or blend; start with 1/4 tsp. of powder per gallon.
• Tannin: To increase the astringency, add powdered tannin at 1 tsp. per 5 gallons.
• Oak: 1 cup of chips should flavor a batch in a few days.
• Fruit: Natural flavorings come in many varieties; start with 2 oz. for 5 gallons.
• Body: Add glycerin to your batch in 1-oz. increments.
• Sweetness: Use a “finishing pack,” wine conditioner or make your own sugar concentrate to sweeten the wine.

Back