Tan Film

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s0615353

Reaction score
My Italian Amarone has been going through MLF for approximately 5 weeks now. Two weeks ago I had to reinoculate it with a new strain (endoderm alpha) and Opti-Malo because the other strain stopped working (prob. from the combo of 15% ABV and 3.2 ph). About a week afterwards a tan film began forming on the neck of the carboy. Is this some sort of spoilage from the 10 ppm SO2, or is it possibly caused by the nutrient or MLB? The wine does not smell off or taste off at all. Should I add a small dose of sulfite just to be safe(the strain can tolerate up to 50 ppm), or just wait a few more weeks for the MLF to finish and then stabalize?

The picture quality does not allow me to see what you are trying to describe. There appears to be a normal ring of small bubbles around the edge of the top. How is the malic acid level doing? Use a test on it and if it has all been converted, the mlf will be done so then go ahead and sulfite it.

That picture isn't any clearer but there is a definite ring around the top- which is perfectly normal. A reading of 75 (probably an Accuvin test strip) indicates you are getting close to done. Give it a gentle stir to mix in the nutrient you added and it should be done soon. When it is done, then sulfite it and you should be good to go.

Back