Other taking the next step

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I get the grape must from winegrapesdirect. If the kit comes with skins, I toss them in also. I've had to add a little more water (@750 ml) but am guessing the skins add about 1/2 to 1 1/2 extra ABV points. I think it makes kits very impressive.

Coleman,
My Two buckets of Syrah ship Monday. Thanks for the advice on testing equip.
Four follow up questions...
1. Do you use the pressed skins with lower or higher end kits ?
2. Do you pitch any more yeast or let the pressed skins donate there yeast
3. You use one bucket's worth of WGD pressed skins to 1 kit ?
4. They are sending Rockpile yeast with the frozen must...is that what u use?

many thanks for all your help

4. They are sending Rockpile yeast with the frozen must...is that what u use?

I believe "Rockpile" is the same as "RP-15", which is recommended for Syrah. I used it on a Cellar Craft Yakima Syrah kit about a year ago and I'm happy with the results.

"RP-15 is a recently isolated Californian strain that was selected from spontaneous Rockpile Syrah fermentations by Vinquiry in collaboration with winemaker Jeff Cohn. RP-15 is a moderate rate fermenter with average nitrogen demands. Due to its' ability to develop a structured yet lush and balanced mouthfeel, RP-15 is ideally suited to making rich, concentrated reds. Initial winemaker feedback has indicated that RP-15 does well with emphasizing varietal flavor and red fruit character. In addition, with careful hydration and nutrients, RP-15 delivers good mineral and spice notes to wine. RP-15 is recommended for Syrah, Zinfandel, Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot. Best results from 59 to 90 degrees F, with an alcohol tolerance to 16%. "

Hey Christopher, yes, I decided to only use premium kits for the fact that they seem to make a much better product, IMHO. I'm sure the skins would benefit any kit, however the cheaper kits never gave me a good wine. I used one bucket of skins for one kit. While I pressed I mixed up a new kit, then tossed the skins in after pressing. It usually starts to ferment right away and is visible by morning with a raised cap. No need for extra yeast as there is still yeast and some juice still in the skins. However, I do use yeast nutrients in the kits just to be safe. The Rockpile yeast was what I used and haven't had a problem fermenting the kits dry. You will be incredibly impressed with the finished product! I left the kit ferment with skins for 7 days, locking the lid after 4-5. Also, used a 20 gallon fermenter or two 7.9 with skins and kit split between the two 7.9's.

The must arrived yesterday. It was 25 for a high here:sn. were still 2/3 frozen so letting them thaw at room temp. I cannot wait to get them in the fermenter. Any opinions on the additive packs they send with. Any other suggestions. I have been reading a ton all over this site and the more wine manuals so i think i got the basics down.

BTW those little grapes are soooo delicious.

Did you press your grapes yet? If not, grab a Syrah kit and toss the skins in it. Look at my three month old WE Eclipse OVZin on pressed skins!!ImageUploadedByWine Making1426283175.484554.jpg

I did. Just finished the press yesterday . Used a nylon bag....that was a bit of a pain but worth the effort. The Rock pile yeast and syrah grape combo was awesome. Very fruity smell throughout fermentation. Anyway I took the pressed skins from the 2 must buckets and added 2 WE Shiraz kits back into the big fermenter right after pressing. Crazy how fast fermentation started.....no lag time to speak of. Few hours later I had a cap forming. Thanks for recommending wine grapes direct. Michael Crews is great to work with. I cannot say enough about how much I enjoyed the process from the must. The syrah looks, smells, and tastes like it is going to be big and bold. Stain your teeth purple kind.
I am going to order from them again. Thinking about their Pinot maybe.....Although its getting to be white time of year soon.

I really appreciate everyone, thanks for the help and suggestions. This is a great forum and glad to be a part :br

Did you press your grapes yet? If not, grab a Syrah kit and toss the skins in it. Look at my three month old WE Eclipse OVZin on pressed skins!!View attachment 21273

Coleman,

That is very nice. I love it. Can almost smell it from here. I appreciate the suggestion. (whats not to like about recycling your skins) Will let you know how mine turns out.

Its like a monster grape pack.

Last edited:
I believe "Rockpile" is the same as "RP-15", which is recommended for Syrah. I used it on a Cellar Craft Yakima Syrah kit about a year ago and I'm happy with the results.

"RP-15 is a recently isolated Californian strain that was selected from spontaneous Rockpile Syrah fermentations by Vinquiry in collaboration with winemaker Jeff Cohn. RP-15 is a moderate rate fermenter with average nitrogen demands. Due to its' ability to develop a structured yet lush and balanced mouthfeel, RP-15 is ideally suited to making rich, concentrated reds. Initial winemaker feedback has indicated that RP-15 does well with emphasizing varietal flavor and red fruit character. In addition, with careful hydration and nutrients, RP-15 delivers good mineral and spice notes to wine. RP-15 is recommended for Syrah, Zinfandel, Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot. Best results from 59 to 90 degrees F, with an alcohol tolerance to 16%. "

Boatboy,

You got better looking.:)

I am liking the RP-15. Purchased some after my syrah grapes got going. purchased from more wine. Started a eclipse cabernet sav with it. Wow what a difference in aroma during primary...foams a lot. I am ready to throw the yeasts that come with the kits in the drawer and start branching out in the yeast arena. Its crazy how much aroma changes.....

Last edited:
I am liking the RP-15. Purchased some after my syrah grapes got going. purchased from more wine. Started a eclipse cabernet sav with it. Wow what a difference in aroma during primary...foams a lot. I am ready to throw the yeasts that come with the kits in the drawer and start branching out in the yeast arena. Its crazy how much aroma changes.....

Did you add any extra nutrients when you used on the Eclipse kit?

Did you add any extra nutrients when you used on the Eclipse kit?

JMK

Yes. I rehydrated with 6 grams GO-Ferm. 12 hours after pitching added 3 grams of Fermaid-K. 3 days later added another 3grams Fermaid-K.

Latest posts

Back