Syrah From Grapes Issue

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishboy

Junior
Reaction score
I have about 90 gallons of Syrah I'm letting age. It's in Stainless right now with some oak slates and about a pound of hungarian cubes suspended in it. I tasted it yesterday and was fairly good except it needed something. I think it's lacking structure, the taste stays with me for a very short time. I'm looking for a more lingering taste. Besides time, would this wine meed more oak? It's a Washington state berry from the east side.
Thanks

I have about 90 gallons of Syrah I'm letting age. It's in Stainless right now with some oak slates and about a pound of hungarian cubes suspended in it. I tasted it yesterday and was fairly good except it needed something. I think it's lacking structure, the taste stays with me for a very short time. I'm looking for a more lingering taste. Besides time, would this wine meed more oak? It's a Washington state berry from the east side.
Thanks

Was this made from bucket juice or from whole fruit?

If from whole fruit, I would suggest a longer period of maceration.

Only suggestion for structure now would be age in barrels and maybe add some tannin. Not much structure is going to be achieved in stainless.

I agree with @sdelli. I’d look for something with good structure, tannins, to blend in. Petit Sirah works well in small amounts, 10% or so, for me.

Back