Synching batches

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Granrey

Edmonton, Alberta Canada
Reaction score
Hey guys, I currently have two 3gal fast fermenters.

Let's say I want to run these fermenters in a way that I can transfer yeast from one to the other. what would be the best procedure for this?

When is the concentration of yeast is at its peak on a batch?

is the concentration of yeast in any location of the batch the same? or is the bottom better? or this depend on when?

is it true the dormant yeast at the end of the fermentation goes dormant to the bottom and this yeast is more alcohol hardy?

Thanks

Interesting questions
Yeast will go through a life span. It has a juvenile phase where it is acclimating, a adult phase where is reproducing and has not built up enough byproduct that it is being stressed (this is the ideal for harvesting healthy cells), the third stage is senescence where something is out of balance as too much byproduct or it is running out of feedstock, this will be followed by death and in a wild system the next organism would jump in to metabolize what resources are left.
If i was harvesting to have active yeast as in dehydrated packets, I would collect during the active fermentation. With tools at home I would look at the range of 1.060 to 1.020, maybe 1.010.
Yeast will recover if in senescence if the limiting factor is removed, ,,,,, ex adding extra sugar to make a port, or at an enzyme company having a constant rate of removing spent broth/ cells and adding more nutrient broth.
?Bottom yeast? interesting question, only a guess but yeast probably are in senescence. If you have access to o low power 100x microscope you could look for budding (active growth). Also there probably is some variation based on type of yeast. ,,, again a guess
Concentration? In a lab we literally count them under a microscope using a marked out slide.
Practically speaking we will have some in suspension for a month therefore even a senescent broth could restart a new must. ie all the guidance about “you have to add K sorbate when you add sugar.
Not a perfect answer since micro lab did not ask your question. The yeast suppliers will know and likely have different answers for different cultures.

Latest posts

Back