Sweetening Wine (need a little help

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TNFISHRMAN

Reaction score
I am new to Wine making and had trouble with an after-taste after sweetening my first batch (on my own that is, had good help the first round)before bottling. I used a recipe that a good friend uses and has never had a problem with it. Would like some other options for Sweetening my wines if you all would share some recipes. Thanks, Lynn Hobbs

Before sweetening, make sure the wine has been stabilized with the appropriate amount of potassium metabisulphite and potassium sorbate, after the wine has fermented dry. This should be done while racking off sediment or lees. At the next racking off sediment, (clearing process), or fines, use a saucepan on the stove and heat up 2 cups of the wine, or you can use water, with 1/4 cup sugar per gallon of finished wine. In other words, in a 5 gallon batch, thieve 2 cups of the wine and put in the pan with 1 and 1/4 cups of cane sugar. Heat and stir just until the sugar has melted clear. Let this cool some and then use a funnel to pour it into the clean recieving carboy. Rack the wine onto it and top up well. Let this sit topped up somewhere cool and dark, (closet?), for at least a month. You will then want to taste and maybe sweeten up more at the next racking or before bottling. It will probably be sweet enough. You can use 1/8 cup sugar per gallon the first time and let sit before tasting. That is sometimes enough for some people. (me)

Does all this make sense? It is probably a long-winded way of a simple instruction. I have been long-winded all day! Good luck.

smiley4.gif

It makes since Country, but I have to ask for I am new at this. When adding final sugar for sweetening before bottling do you heat the sugar and wine together or should I use water to heat with the sugar. I don't want to weaken the alcohol or the fullness of the wine.

I used the syrup recipe that a friend had given me on my first batch by myself, but it did not work out exactly like his. I filtered first then added Sorbate. I then added 1/4 tsp.Metabisulfate for the batch, then 1oz of glycerine/gallon. After adding those ingredients I drew of 1/2 gallon and sweetened to taste. Then sweetened the whole batch. My wife likes a very sweet desert type Concordor Blackberry wine. The wine I sweetened for herended up about 6 - 6 1/2 brix on the first batch I did with the help of my friend. Also ended upwith 6 1/2 brix on the batch I did.I liked the idea of using a syrup but, your way may be the way I need to go. Thanks for your replies here and in the fruit wine Discussion, Lynn

You can use water or you can use the wine itself as I explained. There should be no need to use glycerin. The glycerin is giving you that aftertaste. Metallic some say. The sulphite and sorbate should be used per package directions when the wine is finished to dry, and not until then. There is no timeline for this. Also, you should get a good hydrometer and use it to determinetheSpecific Gravity and the Potential Alcohol of the must,when it is time to rack to glass, and when the wine is dry. Patience is the name of the game. Do not hurry to do anything by time. I also think you should read and study a good winemaking book and also Jack Keller's website extensively. Terry Garry has a very good book for beginners. There are alot of word-of-mouth ideas, methods, and techniques out there, but no substitute for really reading and studying up on the art of winemaking.

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/index.aspEdited by: Country Wine

Hello Lynn!

Welcome to the forum!
smiley32.gif
I am glad to be able to greet you. How are your wines? What are you making now?

Thanks for the Welcome Med! Right now I have a Batch of Blackberry ready to bottle and a batch of Concord starting. Then will follow with a batch of Blackberry that is made with 2 cans of Vintners fruit base. The first batch had just one can of fruit base for a 5 gallon batch. Take care everyone! Lynn

Latest posts

Back