sweetening grape wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nursejohn

Reaction score
I recently made 1 gallon of grape wine from Welch's concentrate. If, when I open the first bottle and it is not sweet enough, is there a way to sweeten it at that point, or is it too late for that? I am still a newbie and learning. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Since you won't be storing the bottle once it's open, you could sweeten it to taste then. If you make up a sugar syrup and keep it refrigerated, you can stir a bit in you glass of wine before you drink it. You don't want to do this for a wine competition, but I doubt if that isyour intent. Enjoy it however you like it since it is for yourself.

Forgive my ignorance, I am new at this, but when you say a sugar syrup, what exactly do you mean? I have two 1.5L bottles stored. Can I sweeten the entire bottle at once and serve it that way? Thanks for helping out a true novice!

Take about a 1/2 cup water and add a cup of sugar to it and heat to dissolve the sugar. Then cool it and use the mixture to add a bit at a time until it is the sweetness you want. Refrigerate the unused syrup until it is needed. Don't sweeten more wine than you drink within the next day. If you add the sugar syrup without added k-meta and sorbate, it will referment that added syrup, make it fizzy and you will lose the sweetness again.

In a word yes since its only 2 bottles

Simple Syrup is a mix of 2 parts sugar and 1 part water. Heat water hot enough to dissolve the sugar. then add to your "TASTE".

Latest posts

Back