Sweet porter

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gaudet

Reaction score
Don't know what it is going to taste like, but it smelled damn good brewing this today.

Grains steeped at 150-152 degrees F for 30 minutes.
7.3#'s dark liquid malt extract
1/2 # chocolate malt
1/4 # special b
1/4 # debittered black malt
1 oz. Brown malt

1 oz fuggles hops full boil
1 oz fuggles hops last 15 min

Nottingham Yeast 11g (Danstar)

Yum. I just did an Irish Red Monday so I've got the brewing bug again. This post made me drool. :p

Looks good! A buddy and I brewed 10 gallons of a Porter on Saturday. OG of about 1.070. We'll be adding a fifth of Maker's Mark and four split and scraped vanilla beans and then oaking with medium toast french oak to taste. Can't wait to try this one!

Travisty said:
Looks good! A buddy and I brewed 10 gallons of a Porter on Saturday. OG of about 1.070. We'll be adding a fifth of Maker's Mark and four split and scraped vanilla beans and then oaking with medium toast french oak to taste. Can't wait to try this one!

Wow that sounds really, really good!
VC

Corny kegged this puppy today. I got my kegerator all set up with co2, new perlick faucet, beer lines, and pin lock adapters.

It was my first kegging. I set the working pressure to 12 psi. Its going to take a while for the cooler to bring down 10 gallons ( See also my hard lemonade post) of adult beverages to drinking temperature.

How long does it take to force carbonate beer? I've heard 2 hours and I've heard 2 days. I'll let the experts here weigh in on that one.

One more question, if I leave my co2 tank in the cooler, would I expect to see the psi drop down? (I seem to remember a law that said if volume remained constant, and temperature increased then so would presure, conversely if the temp decreased, then I would expect the psi to drop in the tank.)
smiley1.gif

If you leave the pressure at 12 psi to carbonate. It will take about a week to equilibrate to your planned carbonation level. If you want it to go faster you can bump the pressure up to 30 psi and leaving it there for a day or two, then drop it back down to 12 psi to finish out. Just be careful to not over carbonate!
smiley1.gif

The CO2 in the tank is in liquid form so the gas pressure coming out of the tank will stay the same until it's almost empty. But the temperature it's stored at will change that pressure. I think my 5 lb tank reads around 800 psi at room temp and about 600 psi at fridge temps.

Latest posts

Back