RJ Spagnols Super Tuscan - primary fermentor size

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WI_Wino

Reaction score
Based on reviews here on WMT I've been toying with the idea of starting a premium kit in the upcoming months, namely the WS Super Tuscan. Ritebrew has the kit for $118 to my door. $110 if I stop by on my way through to visit family. The concern I have is my primary fermentors are 6.5 gallons max. Is that too small for a 6 gallon kit with a grape skin pack? Hoping someone who has made the kit can speak to it. Not afraid to buy a larger primary but if I don't have I won't right now. But if I had a larger primary I might be tempted to make a bunch of wine at once...

If my current primaries are too small, is stepping up to a 20 gallon primary overkill? Doing some quick searching I can get:
- 8 gallon w/ a tight fitting lid drilled for airlock for $15.
- 10 gallon Brute garbage can for $18 at Home Depot (no lid though?)
- 20 gallon Brute garbage can for $20 at Home Depot (includes a lid)

I'm assuming the lids on the Brute garbage cans are not close to air tight so I would think I could be at risk if I tried to ferment to dry in those (attempting to maximize grape pack).

I think you're better off buying another primary, somewhere in the range of 7-8 gal. I used a 6 gal cabernet sauvignon kit last year that I made into super Tuscan by adding fresh Sangiovese grapes. My primary ended up exceeding 7 gallons of used space. Though for the kit alone, it may have been right about 7 for used space. Also, with reds, you have to press down the cap once or twice daily. Displacement by using a tool or your hands will definitely be a concern.
Just remember, it's better to anticipate overflow than to call the carpet cleaners... Not to mentioned all the precious wine you may lose.

image-3696439831.jpg

You will need at least a 7.8 gallon fermenter based on my experience. Even then, it will be tight/full. The grape packs add volume and you will need the extra space to make it work well. These fermenter buckets are commonly available. I paid about $13 here in Florida for the last one I purchased. Good luck! You have selected an excellent kit if you are patient and let it age properly. Enjoy!

Agreed, they make a 7.8 USG Primary That is the minimum really for a 23L kit with a grape pack.

I'm assuming the lids on the Brute garbage cans are not close to air tight so I would think I could be at risk if I tried to ferment to dry in those (attempting to maximize grape pack).

No they are not remotely close to airtight. They have a notch on either side of the lid to hold the lid "on" that's it. They are great for use for primaries for fresh grapes though. Most people press at ~2-5 Brix and let them finish up in a carboy or demijohn.

Thanks. I'm leaning towards getting a 8 gallon primary with a lid. I'll leave the 20 gallon one for a future adventure.

Latest posts

Back