Clarification needed on Brute trash cans

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChuckD

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I searched a bunch of posts and I’m still confused about which Brute trash cans are food grade. I know the white ones are but what about the grey ones at Menards? All of them? Just some of them? And how can I tell? 🤔

I did but a 10 gallon white Brute made for bakery dry goods but It’s not much larger than my other primaries. should have gotten a 20.

The following statement is from Rubbermaid (not sure when the statement was specifically made, but I logged it in 2018)

Rubbermaid Commercial Products is proud to announce the expansion of NSF/ANSI Standard 2 Food Equipment and Standard 21 Thermoplastic Refuse Container certification to all standard colors and sizes of round and square BRUTE bases. Certification also applies to all standard round lid colors as well as square lids in gray and white. Our Brutes are also BPA Free.

Look at the serial number if it starts with FG they are food grade. I think all shapes and sizes are food grade. If they are NSF certified(this is different from food-grade), that will be stamped into the plastic. The white ones are better though, and much easier to see when they are perfectly clean. But the gray ones are perfectly acceptable and what most of us start with since they have stacks and stacks of them at Home Depot. If you order on-line, be sure the lids are included.

Also, I have used round and square ones and prefer the square ones as they fit together more closely in the back of the minivan when hauling grapes home.

30568172-82EA-4960-9107-C55606995AF0.jpeg

Last edited:
Also, I have used round and square ones and prefer the square ones as they fit together more closely in the back of the minivan when hauling grapes home.
That’s a good point. They do look more handy for a few reasons. Now I need a dang engine hoist too? This hobby is getting out of control 🤪🤣

That’s what I thought (white plastic only) But I was just on their site and you can get food grade in a wide variety of colors. Hence my confusion. It looked like their model/SN does indeed start with FG

Maybe you are stronger than me, but 200 pounds of must is too much to handle by yourself.
Piece of cake 🤣🤣🤣🤣
I built a boom derrick in my yard to lift and sort timbers for a project I’m working on
16C03EB4-79C8-4B06-9B95-8FCC62A280BC.jpeg
So yeah. Work smarter not harder. I can lift all the grapes with that bad boy.

i forget the letters but as @mainshipfred said the grey ones are food grade, before i got disabled i used many of them for trash in the mall stores i built, in my tool shed i have about 7 all with lids and them round coasters, that are unused, and 5 that i hauled in, the ones that i hauled trash in and are scratched i don't use for wine,, there are threaded and just screw on the bottom round coasters, for moving them about, now once you go to the must weights it is defiantly time if you don't already have one , you need some kind of vacuum pump, @vacuumpumpman has a great system, no more lifting anything that ain't empty, now that is unless they changed them.. my brutes, like i said are all grey and food grade,
only reason i got 2# 55 gallon drums, is room to work in,
Dawg

Latest posts

Back