Quantcast

Super Tuscan Blend

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

zadvocate

Reaction score
My Koch cab got 86'd by the grower so I am going to do a simple Sangio/Cab/MErlot blend, 33/33/33. Has anyone tried this blend? It will be a field blend due to time. IF you all think I should up one of them I can probably add another lug. (only doing 3). Also yeast recommendations would be great.

Ajmassa

just a guy
Reaction score
Welcome to the 2017 Super Tuscan club. Rc212 and BM4x4 seem to be the popular go-to's.
Tough to play with ratios with 3 lugs. I bought a lot of tuscans recently to see what I liked best. I've had a couple at 33% each and liked em all. The ones I liked the best were barrel aged and had more sangio -which is how I came up with my ratio 50-25-25 field blend. The ones I liked least had less sangio but more merlot and were not barrel aged. Strictly personal taste preferences though.
But that's the beauty of Tuscans- you can do whatever the heck you want! (I googled each bottle after I bought em). Good luck

pgentile

Still learning
Reaction score
If you can do 4 lugs, up the sangio and do 2-sangio 1-cab 1-merlot. My taste buds go in that direction as well.

GEM

Reaction score
I grow Sangiovese so I almost always make a “super.” I would recommend BM4x4 too. I think more Sangiovese makes a better Super Tuscan. That said, 75% Sangiovese and 25% of the other two is what I recommend. Oak to taste, but don’t overdo it. Bottom line, do what tastes good to you.

Latest posts