Super spicy ginger wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
btw - the "wildhair" moniker comes not just from the crazy, curly ginger cranium covering, which I usually let grow until my lovely wife says "you look like a wild man - get a hair cut!" ~ but also from the ........ ideas that tend to pop into my head.............and I tend to try them. Like - I think I'm gonna learn to make wine. Or - I want to learn to ride a sidecar motorcycle....... No "Mr." required.
Red

Hi Red,
One last tidbit for you in case you haven't seen it.
https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...e-big-redhead-book-erin-la-rosa-a8090276.html

Hi AkTom,
Never again my friend, not after all the advice on here but that said, I do suffer a little from the same malady as Red, in fact, some of my best stories begin with, "hey hold my beer and check this out!!" So stay tuned, there is an overgrown patch of nasturtium flowers just down the road that look pretty interesting.
Cheers,
Shayne

Finally got around to the second racking, the wine is as clear as and is semi sweet due to one of the mistakes I made along the way. The funny thing is the sweetness is about spot on. It tastes great already but I will leave to bulk age for a while yet before bottling.

In life, skills count for an awful lot, but sometimes being lucky is just as good!!

It's better to be lucky than good, they say.
Nasturtium wine sounds interesting - they are one of the tastier edible flowers. The Super Spicy Ginger wine looks very clear for the 2nd racking and it's good that you don't need to back sweeten. Nice color (colour), too! So now you have your first wine success story, eh? Don't forget to add 1/16t per gal of k-meta before you bottle.

While not super accurate, nor expensive - a vin-o-meter can give you the ABV of your wine now that is clear. The late sugar additions, etc. make it difficult to mathematically calculate this particular batch.
iu

Did you ever patch things up with the neighbor? And did his chooks start laying again? LOL

BTW - loved the "ranga" link - good stuff. I'll pass it on to my girls, too.

@Shayne Edwards = this ones for your no doubt lovely ginger missus ........ and possibly a warning for you. And I have LOTS of freckles..............
16143228_1661675200792311_2586061007658495661_n.jpg

Thats funny and a little scary too. I am about to start a new wine making thread. Do you fancy coming along for the ride? Come on Red, you know you want to.

Unfortunately my neighbour still wont acknowledge my presence, he is a man who just loves his chooks. That said, I still haven’t made the non alcoholic ginger beer for his missus. Check the next thread to see why my friend.

LOL Found the thread.
Keep us posted on the progress of the Super Spice Ginger wine - it looks promising.

25th of June.
Bottled the wine today, mixed 2.5 tspns of wine stabiliser into 23 litres of wine prior to doing this. It tastes pretty good right now. Will check it in 6 months to see how it is developing, interestingly the ginger seems to have moved from the front palette to the back.

Excellent - must have cleared on it's own OK? Let's see it in the bottle. What's the label look like?

Label? No one said I had to do a label!!
Just kidding Red, I just didn’t think I would produce something I was happy enough with to attach a label. I am on to it though.
I have been giving some thought to this whole sorry process (and thank you for hanging in along the way) during the bottling I had approx. 600 ml left over and if you recall I can often hear my dear departed Mother’s voice calling out, saying,”Don’t you waste that!!!”.
This was often followed by a short, sharp smack with a fly swatter or what ever else was close to hand. Now that I think about it, I’m pretty glad she wasn’t a blacksmith.
So!! Not wanting to waste anything, I diligently drank it all and MY LORD, it has some kick.
I am thinking with what I did with all the extra sugar, the poor little EC118 yeasties did their best until they could do no more. Meaning the ABV is probably close to 18% and explaining the stop ferment and sweet finish.
However, it all turned out for the best and after the wine bottle/label photos I feel I can put this behind me and move on to the next screw up.
Let’s not mention this again my friend.

Back