SUMMER SPLENDORS

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A friend brought over two pots of flowering Star Gazer Lilies...they are just loaded with exotic flowers.....Now I have to find a place to plant them....
I had a place all picked out.....but the perennial flower bed is so far away and dry...then
smiley38.gif
I remembered...the dogs just dug a couple holes in flower beds near the house....I was ready to bring over a wheel barrow of compost to fill the holes...Now I can just place these plants in the holes before filling....
smiley4.gif

The flowers are so fragrant and pretty I just had to bring in a few....

liliesSmall-1.jpg

Meanwhile...the raspberries are still amazing me with berries everyday.... so my daily Religious Experience of picking berries continues....

rbsSmall.jpg

Life is Good!!!!

Just looking at them berries gives me religion NW..I want to "lay hands on them"
smiley4.gif

NW, if you punch a hole on opposite sides and run a string up and around your neck and tie it so your pail is at a comfortable height, you can pick with 2 hands! =)

I hope my parents have more of those raspberries this year. Last year they gave me 18 lbs and I made a 6 gallon batch of raspberry melomel with all those and added 3 lbs of fresh store bought and 15 lbs of honey. It came out awesome. I will have my hands full of Mulberries soon though and may have to make a few different batches as they are huge trees and no one else wants them. They are running late this year from what the owner tells me.

Joan said:
NW, if you punch a hole on opposite sides and run a string up and around your neck and tie it so your pail is at a comfortable height, you can pick with 2 hands! =)

We have a real Hillbilly method....We put the handle of the bucket through our button on our jeans...Just button it and the bucket is just hanging there, never tips of spills. I wear knee pads and scoot around on my knees and haunches....I am preparing a pile of stuff for our Blueberry mission...Bee nets, buckets, bug sprays, coolers, food, boots, etc.

Told a friend about that place and they left home at 5AM and called from there this morning...they are checking it out....I want to go now!!!! But Jim has a little crop spraying of soybean aphids...so work come first.

Oh well..if we don't go, there is always next year.

Better get out there NW and get some berries before they are gone! But I of all people understand Jim's need to get those nasty aphids.

I was down at Willsboro today weeding and tilling the High Tunnel House /Garden area. Got home a half hour ago and picked almost a bushel of beautiful dill pickle size cukes. We were out of dills after about 3 years. I told Cindy I would be sure to grow her some and with all the rain the first picking and the vines are 8 feet wide. Good thing I didn't have anything close to them. We should be able to get about 100 quarts or so of dill pickles and other assorted pickles this year!

I've been weeding one flower bed every morning....
Then my next job for today was to prune some grapes...
Well...the beans are finally coming on...so had to pick them....

beansSmall.jpg

For anyone with too many beans....I will Post a recipe for 3 Bean Salad in the recipe section later...

That's a great idea, NW!! I never would have thought of the jeans button! That'd be perfect for blueberry picking!

Joan said:
That's a great idea, NW!! I never would have thought of the jeans button! That'd be perfect for blueberry picking!

It works great for any berry picking....It is just at the right spot...You can squat and stand and the bucket is always where you need it.
smiley4.gif

Beautiful colors of nature...from berries to beans. Great pictures to enjoy and forget your day!!!!

Ramona

NW,I'AM NOT TO GOOD WITH COLORS BUT WHAT COLOR ARE THE ONES ON THE BOTTOM,I LIKE ALL KINDS OF BEANS,BUT MY WIFE DOESN'T APPRICATE THE END RESULTS //////////////////////ONE OF MY FRAORITE DISHES IS A DEPRESSION DISH WHICH FEATURES STRING BEANS AND POTATOES IN A RED ITALIAN SAUCE,OR GREENS AND WHITE BEANS IN A GARLIC AND WINE SOUP STOCK,I'AM GETTING HUNGRY//////////////////BOTH WITH CRUSTY ITALIAN BREAD AND GOOD VINO/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Joe they are a purple color. They make a nice novelty item for sales and add a splash of color in instances just as this(besides they are delicious). When cooked they turn greenish. I like them raw. They are very crisp and juicy. There are probably more types of beans in the world than just about any other vegetable.

I usually grow a few purple beans as well as the yellow and green....they produce well.....

Plus when I blanch the beans to freeze them they are the indicator that they have been blanched long enough when they turn green.

There sure are a lot of colored vegetables around now....Pretty amazing.

Despite lack of rain and not watering the garden....produce is coming on nicely....

Guess it's time to freeze broccoli, went out there and quite a few are just perfect.......best thing about this years crop...NO BUGS!!!

brocSmall.jpg

We will eat well this winter from the freezers....

Life is Good!!!

Latest posts

Back