Sulfite Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mcamnl

Reaction score
Due to my not paying attention, I over sulfited my Cab Sav back on May15. It has been sitting topped up in a carboy since. I went down to put some things away and noticed that the airlock had wine in it. The level in the carboy has risen some. We have had a nice warm spell here in Michigan so I am figuring the warmer weather is to blame. I removed the airlock and cleaned it. Removed some of the wine and replaced the airlock. I took this opportunity to sample what I had removed and it was good. Still has a very faint aftertaste of what I think is the sulfite. My wife tried some and thought it was good. A few minutes later she thought she was having what felt like an allergic reaction to something. She thinks it is the wine. I am wondering if she is sensitive to the sulfites used. Has anyone had any reactions to the sulfites in their wine? I know the level is currently high. I am going to be adding oak this weekend and will be racking after that has sat some. Hopefully the concentration will have come down some by then. Maybe it would be worth investing in a test kit to measure sulfite levels so I can maybe keep them on the lower end of what is recommended. Is there something other than K-meta I can use?

You need to take a test to determine the amount in the wine first.

Second you will have to splach rack it to reduce the levels or

3. Blend with a wine low in sulfite to balance.

Can't attest to allergic reactions.

Yep, I agree. Splash rack once or twice. If that doesn't help enough, blend with some other un-sulfited wine.

Latest posts

Back