Sugggestions from you guys with vineyards on approach

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nucjd

Cove Springs Farm
Reaction score
Hey everyone
A little background for perspective. I am a huge wine fan and I a have a 50 acre horse farm in north Alabama ( 7b climate) with fields that have not been used for horse grazing (my wife and I breed and import European warmbloods which is my wife's second business. So over the years I have pondered on starting a vineyard. Here in Alabama We have many hurdles ( climate, diseases including bacterial and fungal, as well as pests) and classically muscadine, norton, black berry, blue berry, strawberry, and apple tend to be the wines made in this area. So I started researching european varietals in Alabama and found a few wineries that were doing it successfully. So I took all of their advice and planted climate appropriate vines ( chardonnay, merlot, mourvedre, Syrah, and cabernet) and planted a test run of about 40 ( south facing slope with with good drainage, and plenty of sun with wind bowing up the valley ( I am on the north end). After a four year test it looks like chardonnay flourish as does the merlot, mourvedre, however the cab could not handle the environment and the syrah are stunted. SO last year I planted another 50 chardonnay, merlot and mourvedre. These guys are exploding and and it looks like I will be doing a run of chardonnay this fall.

So my question to you guys. If you were in my shoes would you do a chardonnay run as minimalist as possible with no oak, MLF, or additions just to see what you had or would you go full in? My plan was to run this as minimal as possible with primary, secondary and aging in glass carboys ( after testing ph, brix etc of course and adjusting prior to ferment). Hopefully this experience will help when it is time to tart with the reds.

Per my research in these necks of the woods we are extremely warm and wet through the growing season with warm nights driving up the sugar however we are lacking on the acidity and MLF really does not seem to help in warmer weather areas as does with areas with cooler nights. I have tasted grapes from my vineyard as time has gone on and the sugars are up there and the berries are small and full of flavor with nice tannin from the seed however slightly vegetal as I have to harvest earlier than other areas do to the growing season. So my thought is eventually I will be looking at trying to create a better structure and overall harmonious product rather than a high alcohol flabby wine.

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I have a feeling in about 20 years I will have an idea on what I am dealing with with my different sectors of my vineyard :)

Last edited:
Here are some pics of my chardonnay I just took to show how far they are along in the growing season already.

Last edited:
Your vines are beautiful, and it looks like you have done a lot of research. I'm sure you are aware of all the normal approaches, i.e. blending high acid grapes, adding tartaric acid, not letting MLF take place. The high alcohol Chards from California in the 80's and 90's were put on a lot of oak and everyone loved them. The trend now though is more towards the French Chablis. I like both, and each have there place for me. Here in Utah I have the exact opposite problem, way to high of acid. Looking forward to others posts with more experience. Good luck

Thanks mgmarty. Sounds like you are on the exact opposite end as me. appreciate the positive vibes. I don't mind the high %alcohol as long as it is balanced and has some structure and is not monolithic. I guess my area will dictate a lot of this. It will be a fun experiment either way.

My advice would be to make the wine the way you like it first. Then when you are satisfied, or not, try some options with it. As thy know California chard. Was long known for being oaky and buttery. Now, as was said, there seems to be a shift to less oak, less buttery and more lite and fresh. I personally like both. Your area will have a great influence on what you can do. It is an adventure, a fun one. Gary from San Diego

Thanks for the post Gary. It is looking like big and Oaky is going to the direction based on climate and growing season. I can tell that subtle nuances will be less likely in my neck of the woods but who knows as these varietals in my micro climate have not been tried ever.

Congratulations on your upcoming harvest and best of luck with it. What will your yield be? Will you have enough to make a few batches. If so, why not make three batches? You could make one batch minimalist and another batch with oak, and another with MLF or different oaking, or some combo so you can see how the oak, MLF etc. Change the flavor of a wine made from the same harvest. I would absolutely do one batch bare bones though to see what you are starting with.

Hey Yak
I am hesitant to say my yield because we had a very wet late season last year which I did not stay quite on top of my vines with fungicide and I lost 50% of the grapes to black rot, so this year they are on a fungicide schedule no matter the weather, but I should have enough for two batches for sure ( 6.5 gallon carboys x 2). You make a great suggestion that I have not even considered. Multiple batches with differing recipes will be the way to go based on my yield. Thanks again

Latest posts

Back