Suggestions on Syrah

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wanders

Junior
Reaction score
Four and a half years ago I started four root stock Syrah plants on a pergola I built for growing and shade. Late last year I noticed that there was more of a crop than I had expected and decided to make some wine. I ended up with three net gallons. I harvested and fermented in mid-September, pressed a couple of weeks later, and bottled in March. I did have a couple of food grade six gallon fermentation buckets and a three gallon glass carboy. I used a generic wine yeast and a pound of dark toast oak chips. I crushed with a large potato masher and hand pressed with a mesh bag. The wine is drinkable, 16% alcohol, but not very good tasting. I’ve had a few somewhat knowledgeable people diagnose the wine. Consensus is: 1) Crushed too late, too much brix, too little fruit flavor. 2) Way over oaked which masks whatever fruit flavor was possible. 3) The fruit, being the first harvest, was probably a little thin on flavor to begin with.

I’ve got a much larger crop now – probably triple last year – and hope to do better this time. I acquired some equipment since last year as well: an optical brix meter, a small press, and I have access to a crusher/stemmer. I’m watching the brix, it now ranges between 17 and 19. I’ll harvest around 24 which I expect will be in about two or three weeks. I have a couple of questions and would appreciate any comments.

1) I obviously used too much oak, and I didn’t like using the chips – they’re a little powdery and messy – made it harder to clear the wine. I’m interested in cubes or spirals. I’ll probably have around ten gallons – either two 5 gallon or three 3 gallon carboys. I’d appreciate suggestions on oak: how much, what variety, and what form – it they’re not too much, I’m leaning toward spirals.

2) Suggestions on specific yeast and fermentation temp would be appreciated.

As to what flavor of wine I want, something drinkable would be a start. If I had my druthers, I would like it darker and heavier - rather than lighter. Oaky, and strong fruit. I’m not partial to light, un-oaked syrah; to me they're lemony.

Thanks in advance.
Warren
Chico, California

If you haven't already go to Morewine and download their "guide to making red wine" and "guide to yeast selection" PDF's These will help you in so many ways. Always go with bigger pieces of oak than smaller ones. Staves, then spirals, then cubes. Forget chips, their crap. I would suggest French Oak for your Syrah and either SYR, BM45, D254 or RP15 yeast. You sound like you have enough to do 2 batches perhaps. Its always fun and good practice to ferment separately with different yeast then blend together before bottling that way you get the best of both worlds.

Good luck. Don't forget to check your pH and your TA!

Latest posts

Back