Suggestions for first equipment kit?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waygorked

Reaction score
Greetings,

I'm a total noob at wine making, with an ambitious/foolhardy plan that starts with me making my first Eclipse kit in the garage next month, and ends 5 years later with me buying land in the Yamhill region of Oregon wine country and planting. I want to do this right, and learn as much as possible along the way.

I am about to order my first equipment kit. My free time is scarce, and I have very little to devote to making extra trips to the supply store to grab the piece of hardware that I didn't know I needed.

I could use some suggestions regarding an equipment kit. I'm less concerned with the best deal, and more with the best functionality.

Right now I'm looking at this kit from winemaker's Depot:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003XDGWT4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Any other suggestions?

Thanks, I appreciate the help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like a good starting kit, price is comparable to buying pieces individually. Take some time to look at buying the pieces separate and consider changing the glass carboy to a plastic better bottle and upgrade to a floor corker. An extra Hydrometer is good insurance. You'll need more cleaner and sanitizer on hand whether you buy kit or separate so get that in larger quantities.
Have Fun!
Mike

That's a good starter kit, but expensive IMHO. Finevinewines.com has an almost identical one for $149, with $10 shipping. And if you join their "growers club" (which involves only giving them your email address), you get 10% off. The lower shipping and price would save you almost $50 to put toward additional gear. As Kraffty stated, an extra hydrometer is good insurance, and an extra carboy is always handy.

The Eclipse line is a very good one. And if you haven't shopped around yet, Brew and Wine Supply (one of this site's sponsors) has the best prices I've found on Eclipse kits. He also offers $10 shipping.

get some additional one step cleaner, and a bucket clip (holds the hose on the bucket are carboy, when transferring.
i would get a bottle filler tube also.

i would shop around a bit more,
my local shop has an equipment kit + a vinters reserve kit for $169.99

Boatboy is right. Floor corker is must have. FVW has deluxe and premeir kits for more $s but you will have everything you need without trips back to the store. You get what you pay for. Eclipse kits are darn good too.

I went with a more basic kit and bought a floor corker. I've not had the hand corker, but from what I have read if you can swing the extra bucks get a floor corker and skip the hand corker. I think I paid 65 for mine.

got mine for Amazon and read the reviews. I dont buy anything with out reviews.
Anyway, The reviews were great because they let me know it was a good starter kit but there we things I needed.
Then the I hugged this forum like a toddler to his mother the first day of kindergarten :) Good Luck keep us up to date!!

In my opinion your fine with the corker that comes with this. It is just a starter. Get the floor corker when you can its not a must have or your wine is ruined!! I used the hand corker just fine the first couple of months

Stick with the basics and must haves in the beginning.
Your liable to find this may not be for you and wind up selling it all at a yard sell. Highly unlikely but it happens lol Just my humble opinion (Blush)

Down the road you won't be able to use a vacuum pump to transfer wine into a plastic carboy. I'd stick with the glass. I don't see a wine thief. The hand corker is pretty close to useless.

I do not agree. I used the hand corker just fine for the first few months. Im sorry you have come across so many divers opinions. I can only speak from my experience. The hand corker worked fine for me. Need any help with it PM me

And if you join their "growers club" (which involves only giving them your email address), you get 10% off.

That policy is changing....

"Effective October 1, 2013, the FVW Grower's Club discount of 10% will be limited to the following items:

Wine Kits
Beer Ingredients Kits
Grains, Malt and Hops
All other items will not qualify for this discount, but will qualify for other promotional discounts as they occur."

Starter kits are good in that you get what you need to get rolling but IMHO you're better off doing a little research to see what you "need." I have a box of stuff that came with my starter kit that I've never used and don't really plan on using. Also I have things (corker) that I decided pretty early on needed upgrading. If you think this is something you will be sticking with I recommend spending what you can afford up front, it's actually more frugal in the long run.

so if you have really not used them you really dont know? Listen to me. I bought a starter kit. I dont want to make this a war but Im not gonna lie. I Used everything in the beginning because.
Yes I learned and added to the kit but it all worked!! I was not willing to spend a months salary on something I was not sure of. If I were you and you have not ordered yet I go buy my started from Amazon where you can read what people who have bought the kit are
saying.

That's a nice kit. Has the stuff I got in my kit plus stuff I bought later. That corker is fine or starters.

Back