Sugar

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moose

Reaction score
We are going to start our Black Currant wine, probably next weekend. The 5 gallon recipe calls for 12#'s of white table sugar. Is there an easy way to dissolve this much at once? Big pot, individual batches? Or just mix it in and stir till it's all dissolved, I'm open for suggestions.

I would use a large pot and dissolve the sugar in a small amount of water, but....would use a little less sugar to start with....just to be sure...you can always add more.

When I did a batch I didn't use near the amount of sugar they called for...nor the amount of water...so measure and test the S.G. along the way.

What amount of sugar do you suggest starting out with? I think I am going to use your idea and get 2 bottles of red grape concentrate also. This sounds so good that I want to do it right.

My recipe was...
1 can VH Black Currant fruit Base
2 bottles WinExpert Red Grape Concentrate
9 1/2# sugar [maybe try 81/2# and work from there]
5 campden tablets
4 tsp Acid Blend
3 tsp liquid tannin

Thought my S.G. was a little high at 1.100... Had 5 gallons at his point, didn't want to dilute it too much more...added 2 quarts more water brought it to 1.090...was happy with the wine.

2 1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
5 tsp yeast nutrient
3 tsp yeast energizer
EC-1118 yeast

Have fun and Post your adenture.

Make up the big pot and use as needed...The rest if you put in an air tight jar and store in the fridge will keep for a few months.....I usually have some in my fridge ..To backsweeten or what ever..

good morning moose,i usually make my simple syurp at a two to one ratio//sugar to water in a big porciline pot//2 quarts of water and 4 quarts of sugar,thats almost ten lbs. of sugar simmer the water place all the sugar in watch it turn cloudy when its starting to clear trun up the heat and it start to clear as it gets hotter,pour back into the ball jars and my yeild is 4 quarts (almost ten lbs. worth ::note if you allow it to come to a rolling boil the sugar becomed thicker and adds added mouth feel to the wine,back sweeten to taste a little at at time or as per your recipe,as nw stated placed in air tight jars and store,keep for a while,at least thats how i do it//
smiley32.gif

Thanks Northern Winos for your recipe, I'm going to follow yours. Thanks to you Bert and Joeswine for the help and added tips. We'll take pictures so everyone can help us along the way.

Latest posts

Back