WineXpert sugar weight? Added to port. 450 Grams

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rshosted

Reaction score
I am working on a WE port kit. The intstructions call for adding 450 Grams of sugar (or 1 1/2 cups). I used a new scale that measures in grams. But it appeared I added more like 2 - 2 1/2 cups when I filled up the measuring cup to set on the scale.

I'm just a little worried becuase I just checked the S.G. and it was at 1.022 S.G. The kit was started on the 21st at 1.115 S.G.

Becuase it has been a cookin' for 10 days, I just expected it to be a little closer to finished.... But I have never 'cooked' a wine to such a high ABV....

The info I have on white granulated table sugar is that is weighs 200 grams per cup.

That makes me feel a little better. But worried about WE's directions. Especially since my wine doesn't appear to have any activity right now. I'm hoping it's just slowing down. I'll give 'er a day or two retest. I may have to repitch yeast. I checked the temp and it's around 80, so I moved 'er to a cooler place too.

It should be ok since the ABV should only be ~12.5% at this point using the SG of 1.115 to 1.022 but I don't know what yeast was in the kit.

I don't have my notes with me, but I was pretty sure it was Lavlin EC-1118 so it should tolerate it pretty high.

I have another small confession to make. I added about .5-.75 lbs of blended raisins. But the sugar in those should only be like .005

I'll keep an eye on it.

Tweaking kits outside of the instructions...OH MY
smiley36.gif

I agree not an issue at all.

I walked into and found 'er bubblin'. I think she was just being shy.

Actually, I wonder if it shocked the yeast a little when I dropped the sugar. It really did stop for a day or two.

Ok. I got back in town and retested the wine. it is still at 1.022.
smiley21.gif

I figure I'll try and get another packet of yeast at the local brew shop and make a starter. Maybe add a little nutrient just for luck. Keep your fingers crossed.

I'm still unsure of why it was bubbling becuase the SG didn't seem to change. The wine still tasts pretty sweet. I did rack it off the gross lees in order to prevent it from going bad. I figure it has enough alcohol in it now to keep it healthy, just a matter of pushing it a little higher and dryer.

Thanks Dave, good info.

I did add some yeast energizer, made sure the temp was at 70 and repitched some yeast. I'm thinking of adding some nutrient too......

I figure I"ll give it a day or two and see if she starts to bubble again.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. I talked sweetly to her and told her she was the prettiest port I have. She is sittin' next to a bodega, and RJS Orange Chocolate and might just be throwing a little tantrum. :)

Hmm still no luck. I even pulled a little out and created a starter with a little water and sugar. When it got going, i added a little of the must to it. It kept working for a little while, so I added more... Then nothing. I'm not sure why it stopped. I'm thinking of adding even more water and more nutrient to see if it will take off again.

Thought I would update you all to my progress. The separate sample that I have started seems to be going slower and slower, the more wine I add to it. Even when it is fully fermented. I'm almost to half a gallon now.

I decided to test the acid becuase I don't know what else it could be. I found the acid is very high. It tested around .90-.95%. I'm using a fairly new acid kit that is maybe a month old.

I'm begining to wonder if the acid is too high for the sample. Maybe I should test the PH to?

I wonder if I dropped some calcium carbonate in there if it might begin to start fermenting again.... as it is the primary is sitting at 1.02 and the 'starter sample' is currently sitting at 1.01. I'll recheck it tonight and see if the sample drops any.

I tried to write to WE but thier website wont let you put that many characters in a letter to them. Does anyone have a direct email for them?

Thanks,
Ryan

Back