Sugar to wine to raise SG by.010?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smikes

Reaction score
I have this general rule somewhere but can't find it.

If I have 6 gallons at 1.075 and want to go to 1.085 and am adding table sugar, how many oz do I use?

Thanks in advance, am trying to organize my quick notes, and this one I am missing!

Here is the link to the chart again from Jack Keller's site. Remember you can always use the search feature here. This chart is posted dozens of times here on this site> I know I have put it here twice already in the last month. I don't mind doing it, but if you need the information quicker than relying on someone to read your question, you can search for it here first.

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/hydrom.asp
scroll down to the bottom of that page.

<CENTER></CENTER>

I am having a problem making the chart on Jacks site jive with the wine calculator. Wine calc says Target sg=1.085
measured sg=1.075

sugar to add= 3.54 oz

Using Jacks chart,do I subtract the sugar to collums? (= 4 oz?) I thought I had read here to subtract the "in" from the "to"?

Sorry for the questions, but somewhere I also have 1.5 oz of sugar to 1 gal raises brix by 1*. that would make 3 oz a little more than 1.085. I realize these are approximations, but I am not getting the chart close to the wine calc?

Or am I totaly discombobulated?

smikes said:
I am having a problem making the chart on Jacks site jive with the wine calculator. Wine calc says Target sg=1.085
measured sg=1.075

sugar to add= 3.54 oz

Using Jacks chart,do I subtract the sugar to collums? (= 4 oz?) I thought I had read here to subtract the "in" from the "to"?

Sorry for the questions, but somewhere I also have 1.5 oz of sugar to 1 gal raises brix by 1*. that would make 3 oz a little more than 1.085. I realize these are approximations, but I am not getting the chart close to the wine calc?
Or am I totaly discombobulated?

You are way off, The link I sent says 1 1/2 LB of sugar
Just add 1 1/3lb of sugar and you will be right on target.
smiley20.gif

Take some wine from bucket heat it up so the 1 1/3lb of sugar will dissolve. Cool and add back to bucket.

I was using the wine calc for 1 gallon so I could keep it in line with the chart so I could compare numbers.

The wine calc and the formula for brix were close, but when I tried to use the chart, I was off.

In a previous post in which I had asked about the use for the chart I was told to take my SG reading, which was "sugar in gallon" 1.075=25.8oz, look up the sg I want to finish at "sugar to" 1.085=34.2oz,
subtract and result is sugar to add =8.4oz

Thats 4.9oz difference over the WineCalc

Ops. didn't realize you were making 1 gallon . What i said was for 6 gallons.
smiley5.gif

4oz of sugarwill work for 1 gallon then.

smikes I don't know what numbers you are looking at, but according to the chart above there is 1 pound 9.8 (25.8)ounces of sugar in a gallon at 1.075. For 1.085 there is 1 pound 14 (30)ounces giving a difference of 4.2 ounces to add - very close to the calculator.

Going by the other column- 1.075=1 pound 14 (30) ounces and 1.085=2 pounds 2.2 (34.2) ounces or 4.2 ounces to add.

I think you took a reading from one column and the other from a diiferent colum. Be sure to use the same column for both.

Thank you, Appleman, I was the receiver of some mis-information!

Also thank you Tepe!

Smikes,

That's why we are here.

Let us know how your wine comes out.

Back