Sugar prices hit decade high

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We need to grow more fruit and support honey bees!
No surprise of this shortage- we need to conserve our land . .. *Also perhaps a message to promote artificial sweeteners..?
( to “save” us if we run out of real sugar!;)
(Did you see the Cleveland Clinic study on Heart disease recently where they found terrible dangers of Erythritol related to Stroke /sudden death? 😱) YIKES! Tell your friends.
( I pitched my recent “ sugar free”
Keto acquisitions!🛢️😵)

Not surprised at all, I didn’t read beyond the headline of what you linked to, but sugar is a commodity and pretty much all commodities are under intense long term inflationary pressure. I am no expert but believe we’ve only seen the beginning…

Personally I always have a boatload of sugar. I buy and rotate stock.

The crazy thing is that in my Kroger the price of bananas is going down. Not something we grow in Ohio. I started another banana wine a month ago because I got organic bananas with a couple brown spots for .29/lb, regular price is .59/lb. I grab the discounted when I see them, let them ripen, then into the freezer.

Personally I always have a boatload of sugar. I buy and rotate stock.

The crazy thing is that in my Kroger the price of bananas is going down. Not something we grow in Ohio. I started another banana wine a month ago because I got organic bananas with a couple brown spots for .29/lb, regular price is .59/lb. I grab the discounted when I see them, let them ripen, then into the freezer.
Sounds like an interesting vino -- is your recipe/protocol posted somewhere?

Cheers!

Sounds like an interesting vino -- is your recipe/protocol posted somewhere?

Cheers!
No, I usually only post "unusual" wines.
There are many banana wine recipes out there. I ferment with the skins so organic is important to me.
My first banana wine used 5 lbs and back sweetening brought out the very nice banana flavor. My most recent used 11 lbs, must thick like porridge, fantastic banana flavor going into bulk. I can't wait to see what back sweetening will do. I'll try something different with the next one.
Definitely worth trying if you like fruit wines. Let the bananas ripen to almost blackness and then freeze.

Latest posts

Back