Stuck secondary fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

panidaduo

Junior
Reaction score
I have two 5 gallon carboys (1 Pinot N and 1 Zin) that are experiencing a stuck fermentation at 1.02. I plan to re-innoculate with Levlin 1118 yeast, in a 75 degree environment. Has anyone ever experienced this? Should the young wine be re-racked into the primary fermenter? or is adding the hydrated yeast to the carboy ok? :snw

i suggest some form of a yeast starter where you would start w/ yeast and warm water for 1/2 hour or so, and then progressively
add 50% must to existing starter mix, allowing time in between additions for the starter to become adjusted. after about 6 or 8 increases, your starter will be fairly good amount and then will have a much better chance when added to the rest of the batch.

I agree, adding yeast directly, without using a yeast starter will likely not work out.

Before you add yeast, give it a good stir and keep it warm. If it doesn't start on 5 days, use the yeast starter.

Back