Stuck MLF using Wyeast 4007 on Melbec

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

From_LV

Junior
Reaction score
I started MLF using Wyeast 4007 on Melbec on June 1st. I ran paper Chromatography tests on July 18, August 30, and Oct 13 and they’re still not done. By October, 2 of them appeared to be infected, so I had to rack them and add sulfite to safe them. So far, none of them has completed MLF. I now have VP41 on hand. Can anyone please advise what to do next?
July 18 test results:
45AF991B-8F19-4561-91EE-49756EB66394.jpeg
August 30 test results:
63B08A4C-838E-404C-B6FA-B0A958463F20.jpeg
October 13 test results:
CA087E5E-8431-41AA-ACFE-53C96B768031.jpeg

Thanks in advance.

I started MLF using Wyeast 4007 on Melbec on June 1st. I ran paper Chromatography tests on July 18, August 30, and Oct 13 and they’re still not done. By October, 2 of them appeared to be infected, so I had to rack them and add sulfite to safe them. So far, none of them has completed MLF. I now have VP41 on hand. Can anyone please advise what to do next?
July 18 test results:
View attachment 67484
August 30 test results:
View attachment 67485
October 13 test results:
View attachment 67486

Thanks in advance.
If they’re sulfited, you’ll have a pretty hard time getting them restarted, even with VP-41, enjoy them as they are. . Use VP-41 in the future, and consider co inoculating to enhance your chances of success. Lots of folks have problems getting the Wyeast product to complete.

If they’re sulfited, you’ll have a pretty hard time getting them restarted, even with VP-41, enjoy them as they are. . Use VP-41 in the future, and consider co inoculating to enhance your chances of success. Lots of folks have problems getting the Wyeast product to complete.
Thank you. I sulfited 2 of them out of 4. The other 2 are still sitting on a seedling mat. From time to time, they still release bubbles.

Also, will I run into any problem with re-fermenting when MLF is incompleted if I were to bottle it? Thanks.

I agree with John, after 5 months they should be sulfited to their proper levels and which will not allow the VP41 to work. If you're concerned about restarting get some lysozyme as a precaution.
Thank you. I’ll rack and sulfite the rest tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back