stuck fermentation -

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flapbreaker

Junior
Reaction score
I am making a kit wine (wine expert raspberry port) that is notorious for a stuck fermentation after chaptalisation. I didn't find that out before hand unfortunately. Basically my gravity is stuck at 1.024 I have tried increasing the temp, I've stirred the wine up. The confusing part to me is that after stirring I will get bubbles in the airlock at a slow rate. I assumed this was further fermentation but I just checked the gravity after about 4 days (the bubbles don't go for 4 days) and the gravity is the same. Could the bubbles be from the wine degassing rather than fermentation? The wine has been in the primary since Nov 2nd and am not sure if I should try adding yeast to get it to the recommended 1.018 I'm not sure how long is too long to be in the primary. Any ideas?

As long as it's under airlock you don't have to worry too much about it being in the primary this long.

That said, it's under an airlock in the primary? I know some people do it this way, from my experience it causes exactly what you are running into.

Get some oxygen in there, stir it up real good and leave the lid loose. Could try a little yeast energizer if that doesn't work.

The bubbles are not an indication of fermentation, they are simply CO2 being released. 1.024 isn't that far off from the recommended 1.018, as a port wine, I can't see that the extra sweetness would really effect it, after all, Ports are supposed to be sweet.
If you are really committed to trying to restart the fermentation, I would get a packet of UvaFerm 43, this yeast is recommended to restart stuck fermentations, you can find it at Morewine.
If the wine has stopped fermenting you want to be real careful about how much oxygen that you mix into it.

Latest posts

Back