Stuck Fermentation?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim4168

Junior
Reaction score
I have a bucket of frozen Malbec juice, as it started to warm up to room temp fermentation began on its own. I pitched the yeast and had steady fermentation for 5 days then slowed of to 7 days. SG was at 1.020, another 7 days had passed and little to no activity in the airlock and SG is at 1.018. I went ahead and racked it off to a new carboy, added Camden, yeast energizer and yeast nutrient (ran out of energizer) and pitched fresh yeast, 24 hours later nearly no airlock activity at all.

Any help appreciated.

The Campden tablet could slow the refermentation as it may work against the yeast. You could also try adding yeast energizer. Hopefully someone more experienced will chime in, with more advice. Good luck

Pitching fresh yeast on a wine with already such a high abv is throwing a packet of yeast down the drain typically. There is just too much alc and shocks a fresh yeast. You need to make a good starter and slowly introduce your product into it. Better yet if you have another wine that just finished or will be finished soon Id dump this wine onto that as it has the best chance of getting this done to completion

Latest posts

Back