Other Stuck at 1.020 Diamanti Ice Wine kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NashChic

Reaction score
I pitched the yeast (included EC-1118 ) on 5/13 with a SG of 1.130. The temp has been consistently in the mid-70s. Fermented pretty strong in the beginning, but there's been no change in SG for the last week. Thursday I added yeast energizer... Yesterday I added nutrient. Besides stirring, I didn't know what else to do. Should I try a starter & re-pitch? And if so, what yeast? Any thoughts?

You're at about 15% ABV right now

If you go the starter route, you'll want to use 1118 again, for sure

Makes me wonder though, because you say the temp was mid-70's.. I'm guessing you mean the air temp, not the must temp.. So the must temp could have been up to mid-80's if it got carried away..

Just wonder if the high temp might have caused the yeast to push out excessive harmful chemicals... Can lead to a build up which can actually cause a ferment to stick

Would need more than just my input though; dont trust me 100% on this but its the first thing that came to mind..

If indeed thats the case, it's removable to an extent with the use of Yeast Hulls.. They're added, stirred in, allowed to absorb toxins and then racked off before repitching another yeast starter

:a1

Deezil said:
You're at about 15% ABV right now

If you go the starter route, you'll want to use 1118 again, for sure

Makes me wonder though, because you say the temp was mid-70's.. I'm guessing you mean the air temp, not the must temp.. So the must temp could have been up to mid-80's if it got carried away..

Just wonder if the high temp might have caused the yeast to push out excessive harmful chemicals... Can lead to a build up which can actually cause a ferment to stick

Would need more than just my input though; dont trust me 100% on this but its the first thing that came to mind..

If indeed thats the case, it's removable to an extent with the use of Yeast Hulls.. They're added, stirred in, allowed to absorb toxins and then racked off before repitching another yeast starter

:a1

Would yeast hulls be something they would have at my LHBS?

Mid 70s is where I usually keep my laundry room when I have something in primary, but I really don't know what the must temp got up to. I have a stick on thermometer on the bucket, but this small batch only had about 2.6 gallons or so in it, so my thermometer was above it =/

They should? A call to them could save you the gas. It's a pretty common additive to be found on a LHBS shelf

It was just a thought, I wouldnt be 100% on "Thats the culprit!" but.. It's possible

I've never made this kit (or any other of their specialty kits). The instructions do not appear to be online anywhere. Regardless, here are my questions...

What do the instructions say? An ice wine should be sweet (1.020 is maybe a bit low for a finished ice wine). There are other kits that have started with a high sg, and then finished high deliberately. My favourite calculation yields 14.63%.

Could this be the way that this kit is supposed to work?

Steve

Seems like the alcohol level is high for an ice wine style...what do the instructions say the wine should finish at? I assume there's some kind of flavoring pack because 1.020 is not sweet enough for ice wine.

The instructions say it should get to 1.000 within about 2 weeks, then rack, stabilize, etc. It doesn't really divide it up into "primary fermentation" & "secondary fermentation". It's pretty much it goes dry in the bucket then rack to carboy with all the finings, etc then clear until bottling. It has a pretty significant sized f-pack still to be added, so that will dilute whatever the final ABV is. If I'm not mistaken, the primary must was about 9L and the f-pack about 3L. So I'm definitely concerned that it will be undrinkably sweet if it doesn't go dry before the f-pack. I tasted it earlier & it's sweet at 1.020.

At less than 3 gallons sitting in a 7 gallon bucket (with lid/airlock), I was worried about all that headspace since it had not been fermenting for the last week. So I went ahead and racked to a 3 gallon better bottle today. There's still headspace (for the f-pack), but I feel better having it in a carboy.

LHBS guy told me to hit it with Fermax & repitch 1118. And he said making a starter wasn't necessary. Thoughts on that advice? Does it matter that I just added nutrient & energizer in the last few days?

I do not add energizer/nutrient once the SG has dropped by 70%, too much risk for issues. I agree that the use of hulls, to absorb any toxins, and then racking & then pitching the EC-1118 is a reasonable choice, especially since you recently dosed with nutrient & energizer.

Last edited:
Back